• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep timing problems

Kelgard

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, heres what I did. In my 1988 jeep cherokee I swapped the Renix engine for the HO, I swapped over all of the Renix sensors and equipment, and adapted the tps. So basically I did a HO head swap on a Renix block. I also swapped over the distributor. Here's my problem, I set the engine to tdc cylinder one and the distributer at 5 o'clock, start the jeep it idles like crap and will not rev up, I therefore retard the timing, I can get the timing so that the engine will idle but I cannot for the life of me get the jeep to anything but idle, meaning it wont rev up. If I do press the throttle it chokes and backfires and will not rev above 1000 rpm. If anyone has an idea that would be great. BTW I have searched for possible answers one being that the timing chain being off, but I would much rather see if there is another answer first before I dive into that.

Thank you,
Kevin

you retarded it too much. did the same thing when we went to start my stroker. you were advance one tooth backed it up 2 so now its retarded one. advance it one, and youll be golden.

Either that, or you're 180 degrees out. You sure the engine is at #1 TDC? Did you have #1 spark plug out and check for compression as you brought the timing marks on the balancer to TDC?

To be sure it was tdc on #1 I had someone watch for the intake valve open then close and spun until I felt resistance to spin the crank and the mark was at zero, no i didn't check for compression, but due to the difficulty to turning the crank shaft I'm assuming that is the compression stroke. I could check for compression when I turn it. I've tried 180ing the distributer, it backfires out the throttle body if I do so therefore I'm not 180 out. I will compare my timing to my buddys jeep that runs fine, if that doesn't resolve anything I'll pull the timing chain cover and check down there if the cam is off.

like jeeperJhon said I'm going to check the camshaft to crank timing, the engine I swapped in had a little over 200k so the timing chain might be loose and skipped a few gears.

your problem sounds exactly like what i had happen to me, when i went to reset it it was very easy to go 2 teeth instead of just 1. try triple checking your distributor.

My technique for determining the correct indexing on the distributor is to set the engine at around 14 degrees BTDC on the compression stroke. At that point the rotor should be pointing pretty much at the #1 cylinder wire.

Now having said that, I had a very similar problem with the rpms and had a bad CPS. It was almost new but when I changed the tranny, for some reason it crapped out in a wierd way. It would start and idle but simply wouldn't rev above about 1000 rpms. I thought it would be anything but the CPS but was wrong.

I am having the same problem with my brothers 98 limited. I will be very interested to see what you find. I have tried three different dist. and had four diff. people set the timing, still nothing.

Back