• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x12.5x15 opinions please

DrShaggford

NAXJA Forum User
So I recently sold my 89 K5 Blazer and I'm left staring at my 33x12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs sitting in my garage. I've been trying to sell them for a while now and can't get a reasonable offer (they only have about 300 miles and people are offering $200 for the set plus rims).

So I have been toying with the idea of putting them on my Jeep but I'm scared about the potential damage. i can't afford to regear right now, but i will only be driving it around town til spring. My rig has a 3" Rusty's lift with a full leaf pack, RE adj. trac bar, quick disco. and and RE extended slip yoke. Fenders have also been trimmed.

Do you think its ok to put them on before I regear or am I risking extensive damage? Just throwing it out there...i am also looking to trade them for 31" or 32" MT's or other aftermarket Jeep stuff.

damn wish you were closer i would swoop those up!
im running 33's on RE 3.5" lift right now with no regear, its not greatest up mountain passes but i DD it and it doesnt do terrible, just not great. i say do it

Totally forgot some of the basic info... It's a 94 4.0 auto...D35 in back with a 30 in front and I'm not sure what gears I have, I haven't popped the diff covers yet.

in4aride....These tires have fairly agressive lugs on the shoulders do you think this would be a problem in deeper wet snow?

no the duratracs are designed for the snow. they have great siping and the tread pattern allows for them to clean out very well. great tire, getting ready to put them on the Xterra.

if youre auto you 3.55 gears unless they have been changed

I was also planing on doing the Durango steering box mod over the winter along with fabbing up a brace for it. I am mainly worried about drivetrain damage but it's looking like maybe I don't have that much to be worried about. Does anyone know off hand how much backspacing I would need to run 12.5s? If not I'll just get my lazy ass under there and measure.

ya i ran 35's on stock drivetrain, its no prob, just not as "fast"
id recommend at least 4.0 bs, but 3.75 or 3.5 would be way better.
the durango box is a good upgrade. JCR makes a good cheap brace for steering box as well...

Did 33s on stock gears for over a year. Didn't mind it at all. Although, it's pretty flat driving around here. Except when wheeling, but I didn't even have any complaints then either. Did feel a lot better once I was able to get my 4.56 axles under there. Definitely not a required thing to do though.

Will do man. I like the duratracs alot. And only bought them because I dident have the money for the MTR's. But I will come this spring. And these should have atleast %70 tread on them still. Im down to sell them to you though man

So I recently sold my 89 K5 Blazer and I'm left staring at my 33x12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs sitting in my garage. I've been trying to sell them for a while now and can't get a reasonable offer (they only have about 300 miles and people are offering $200 for the set plus rims).

So I have been toying with the idea of putting them on my Jeep but I'm scared about the potential damage. i can't afford to regear right now, but i will only be driving it around town til spring. My rig has a 3" Rusty's lift with a full leaf pack, RE adj. trac bar, quick disco. and and RE extended slip yoke. Fenders have also been trimmed.

Do you think its ok to put them on before I regear or am I risking extensive damage? Just throwing it out there...i am also looking to trade them for 31" or 32" MT's or other aftermarket Jeep stuff.

ill give ya a set of 30"s and you can keep the wheels and try and sell them on craigs list :cool: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1045752

edit: i can do all the mounting and balancing to get you on the 30's me on the 33's and the rims back to you so you wouldt have to pay anyone

have you put them on craigslist cause i check about everyday and haven't seen to many offroad tires lately

but you should be fine withe the 3.55's just gotta trim and bumpstop to fit them on the 3" lift

let me know if you would like to trade or what you want for the tires pm me with pics if you want

Last edited:
did everyone miss the fact that he has a D35?

- 4" of backspacing will be fine on a 8"-10" wide rim.
- steering will be fine but it doesnt hurt to show it some love and beef it up.
- lift height is fine, just bump stop and trim accordingly.
- gearing will be fine, just not as "quick" as on smaller or stock tires.

- id count on the D35 being your weak link.

with that said, i know many people who run them with no problems. but i have heard stories of them breaking on simple daily driving. put them on and drive is with some finesse on and offroad. youll love it.

It's not locked. Axles are a matter of driving. Seen a welded non trusses stock 35 hold up to 33's on some 8 rated trails and seen a front 60 blow up on 35's. Just driving habits. For most part, if he takes care of his vehicle, the 35 will do just fine.

It's not locked. Axles are a matter of driving. Seen a welded non trusses stock 35 hold up to 33's on some 8 rated trails and seen a front 60 blow up on 35's. Just driving habits. For most part, if he takes care of his vehicle, the 35 will do just fine.

agreed

Back