• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cut out issue

91blackbox

NAXJA Forum User
this has been an on going problem that i have been trying to figure out... this is what has been replaced.

map sensor
tps
iac
cps
stater <coil pick up>
coil pack
plugs

issue:
once she warms to o.t. she cuts out < complete loss of power >
she runs good then just cuts in and out.. if i let off the pedal she will idle and run but when i try to get back into the gas she cuts out again...

its an intermittent problem.. doesnt do it always.. kinda does it when it wants...

someone said the o2 sensor could be it

someone else said the ecu may be bad...

what do you guys think???

What are you driving?

Always start with the BASICS.

lol yeah... my jeep
91 4.0h.o. 242 8.25 rear d30 front.
5.5" re lift

35" maxxis bighorns

what do you guys think???

I think you've been blindly throwing parts at it. :}

Try unplugging the O2 sensor and see if it still dies when it warms up. When you said CPS, did you mean the crank sensor (CKPS) or the camshaft sensor (CPS) in the distribution? Crank sensor can sometimes fail and become temp sensitive. Any check engine light?

the crank sensor was replaced and yes i have been throwing parts at the electrical side trying to find the issue.... i have eliminated a fuel issue by checking pressure and checking injectors...

i will unplug the o2 sensor in the morning and try that but would a faulty o2 sensor make her cut out like that???

and i also noticed play in the distributer ! just trying to fill you guys in the best i can

and i also noticed play in the distributer ! just trying to fill you guys in the best i can

A little up/down is Ok, sideways is bad ju-ju.

ok replaced the dizzy, old one had really uneven wear pattern.. some uneven shiny spots.. and the side to side wiggle was worse then i thought.

its been raining like crazy here in southern cal so i havent had a chance yet.. but i did get the distributer changed and saw an odd wear on the old dizzy.. looked like it was wearing heavy in the center of the gear at spots.... most of the gear had the burned oil brownish color but in the center of the teeth was very very shiny but in an uneven pattern from tooth to tooth....

If the dizzy isn't your issue I would suggest pulling the TPS and testing it with a multi meter. I have bought new sensors that were bad right out of the box a few times. I would say there is a good chance you have a dead spot in your TPS.

i hope you find out what the problem is...im having sort of the same issue. i had it to where it would run for maybe 45 minutes then it would start cutting out,didnt matter if driving or idling. then all of a sudden it would only take about enought time to get to temp...then throw a fit...i changed the crankshaft position sensor and it ran beautiful...for about a month...now its screwing up again!!!!

yeah same here lol.. i just unplugged my o2 sensor and i'm gonna drive her around a bit and see what happens...

Any update?

I ripped my muffler and cat off last weekend and it was only hanging by the wires. Replaced the o2 sensor this weekend and put the exhaust back together. Now I have a loss of power problem. It has trouble idling and wont respond to throttle input.

What did I miss when fixing the exhaust? Im so confused now.

Back