• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on replacing Suspension - minimal lift

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
It’s time to replace some suspension components on my old Cherokee (89), starting with the springs. I have a broken front spring so I’m going to replace both springs and shocks (and front U joints while I’m at it). I think it also makes sense to replace the rear leaf springs (since they’re looking so flat) and shocks.

I’d like to replace with springs that would leave me at the same height, or preferably 1 inch or so of lift, just enough to give the old girl a little ‘attitude’. Not really interested in going more than an inch or so as I don’t need to for the driving that I do and I’m not really interested in having to install a SYE at this point (I realize that I wouldn’t probably need a SYE for a minor lift). I know that I could use some donuts and shackles or lift blocks to get an inch of lift, but since I’m replacing the springs, I’m hoping that I can get the lift I need with just the springs. I’ve done some checking around and found that I can get some rear leaf springs to give me a 1” lift from JC Whitney (any comments on that?) for about $130 each (ouch), but I can’t find a source for 1” over stock front coil springs.

Also looking for best value in some new front and rear shocks. I don’t do a lot of 4 wheeling so I don’t need high performance but I’ll pay more for shocks if they offer longer lifespan Any suggestions on what I should use?

If I could find a 1 inch lift kit with all springs and shocks (no blocks, shackle kits, add-a-leafs, or donuts) that may be a better way to go. Any suggestions on a supplier?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Collkid:

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually saw that one before I posted. Thought it seemed expensive but perhaps that is due to better quality?

I've noticed that with kits and just the leaf springs, the bushings never seem to be included! What's the deal with that?

Careful with the OME lift springs, I got 3.5" out of my 2" HD OMEs. I'd go with medium duties for 2" or less.

And yeah, bushings are never included, some people like poly bushings and some like rubber and it's a royal pain in the ass to press them back out. I put the rubber bushings in my leafs with a 6" bench vice and some pieces of 2x4.

Hey Kastein:

Thanks for the tips.

PS (I finally have a new (to me) rear axle on my Jeep. Took a while to install everything - brake cylinders, cables, pinion seal, cover gasket - and have it de-rusted - as best I could - and painted, and delivered and installed but it's finally ready to go. I still have to pick it up which I will do, hopefully, this weekend).

What rearend did you get? Hopefully an 8.25 not a d35.

Expect the leaf spring bolts to put up a hell of a fight if you have any rust at all on the jeep.

i recently put in OME medium 2" rear leafs, and i got more along the lines of 3.5-4" of lift, and although the rear springs that i removed were a little sagged they weren't THAT saggy.

Hey Kastein:

I got a D44 in pretty good shape, although I did notice at the last minute that there was some, not sure what the right term would be, 'chaffing' between the 'ears' of the right hand outside clutch ring that holds the posi clutch disks in place and the carrier. That is, that ring has been rotating a bit and skipped out of its grove enough to carve a bit of a cut into the carrier housing. I found some minor bits of shaved steel in the housing when I drained and flushed everything so I guess that’s what the bits were from. Everything else seemed clean and working properly. Given the type of driving that I do, I don’t think I’ll see a problem (A buddy of mine told me that it’s not unusual to see a bit of this in a posi rear end where limited slip fluid was not added), but I’ll keep my eye on it.

I also took your advice and picked up a drive shaft from a 8.25 equipped Cherokee (and replaced the U joints) to account for the longer pinion length of the D44. Since I haven’t seen the truck yet, it’s still not clear if I could have gotten away with the original dive shaft.

As far as the springs bolts go, assuming you’re referring to the shackle bolts, I was planning on cutting or grinding the heads off.

If you just want 1" over stock why mess with a "kit" for big bucks?

Get the OEM HD leaf springs from Quadratec or Crown, they are like the Upcountry option and will give you about 1" and a good ride, then add 1" spacers to a new pair of stock front coils--in and done and cheap.

You can buy the Up Country (Crown-made) replacement coils as well. Have to dig around for the part numbers, which are posted here somewhere. I think I paid around $100 for the pair, shipped, from 4WDH. They ride seems much firmer, but I like it.

Hi Guys:

Great advice! Thanks! I'm not familiar with the term "Up Country" was that an factory suspension option for an 89 XJ Cherokee?

I checked out the 4WD site, plenty of spring options, I'm not sure which springs are which. I found some front springs that say 0 -1 in lift (http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=357&plID=75&partID=7737) but not sure about thie rear springs. Maybe these: (http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=357&plID=75&partID=6944 ) Also not clear what busihings I need for the rears.

Last edited:
Hi Guys:

Great advice! Thanks! I'm not familiar with the term "Up Country" was that an factory suspension option for a Cherokee?

SomeOnlineMagazine said:
In addition to comfort options, the Jeep Off-Road or Up-Country package provides the Cherokee with additional capabilities. This package consists of skidplates for front suspension, transfer case, and fuel tank, revised front and rear springs with 1-inch higher ride height, two front and one left rear tow hooks, 15x7in. tyres with P225/75R15 radial tires, and gas-pressurized shock absorbers. In recent years a 16x7in. wheel option with matching tyres has become available. In 1989 the 20.2 U.S. gallon (76.5 Liter) fuel tank was made standard throughout the U.S. Cherokee line, greatly improving range.

Found that while searching for the springs and leafs mentioned here as I'm in the same boat but was just going to do a 3" lift kit but now this has me thinking.

Found that while searching for the springs and leafs mentioned here as I'm in the same boat but was just going to do a 3" lift kit but now this has me thinking.

Keep me posted on what your find. I still havn't found any specific reference to 'Up Country' replacements on any of the sites that I've been to. Thanks.

Just thinking some more on this.... Was the 'Up country' option available in 89 or was it something that came out in later years. I remember when I purchased my truck in 89 I wanted every option available, and as far as I knew, the only option I didn't get was a sunroof (something I've regretted since the day I drove home - but I just couldn't find Jeep with all the others options that I wanted and a sunroof).

I ended up with the OEM(Crown) HD leaf and coil springs, I got them all through quadratec for pretty good price. I found they don't charge a shipping surcharge for those particular leafs while all others they charge an extra 10 bucks per spring. I called a few places and shipping for each leaf was going to be around 40 bucks and kind of a deal killer for me.

I haven't put my springs on yet so I can't comment on them at all, yet.

Just throwing my hat into the ring for recommending the Up-Country springs. The inch that you'll get out of them isn't a lot, but it's definitely useful - and (at least to my mind) ride and handling were much improved over the standard springs.

Thanks Casm:

I can't find a reference anywhere to UpCountry replacment springs, for any model, let alone an 89 Cherokee. I did find a reference to the upCountry option being available on 99 to 03 Cheorkees.

I can't find a reference anywhere to UpCountry replacment springs, for any model, let alone an 89 Cherokee. I did find a reference to the upCountry option being available on 99 to 03 Cheorkees.

Check this thread - the Up-Country package was an option right up to the end of XJ production in 2001, so that should give you a good start on it. As far as I know, those numbers are valid for '87-'01.

FWIW, they're a bit stiffer than stock - not so much that they're uncomfortable IMHO, but noticeably-so in terms of improving ride and handling. Also on the plus side, they seem to last longer than the standard springs.

Hey Casm:

Thanks for the link. Is there any correlation between those OEM numbers and other MFR's numbers? (I apologize if that seems like a dumb question).

Back