• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Rear Bumper (Roxolid)

Ulver44

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering buying this bumper, but I'm worried that the clevis mounts not being welded through and the minimal factory mounting may cause it to not be strong enough during hard pulls.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-0...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5f9479c8

The seller of this bumper says the clevis mounts have enough surface area to provide enough strength, and that they have never had anyone tear one off in 3 years of selling them. But I would like to hear others opinions about the clevis mount strength (if the welds have proper penetration) and if something like these Unibody Tie-in Brackets from JCR could be added to make the mounting of the bumper sufficient for serious off-road extractions.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3UNBR&Category_Code=XJB

These would bring the total cost for everything to my door to $220, and I haven't been able to find anything cheaper.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of it on an older model XJ. I would be installing it on an 89.

Bumper-RoxolidRazorEbay.jpg

I'd go with that last one

Yeah, I know I should. I want to get his front winch bumper as well.
leonard0909frntbmper24.jpg

leonard0909frntbmper25.jpg

It's just that the Roxolid one I can get this week probably, and I need an attachment point now. I wont be able to get the time to drive to get the other more solid one(s) for a while.

You will want nut strips that tie into the frame.

Honestly unless you are going to cut and fold the rear quaters I dont think this will look very good. There is no brake light protection.

It seems like you could by some 3/16 3x6 box and simply build your own for like $100 and probably make it stronger and fit the better with the body lines.

I don't know how to weld and I don't really care about the bumper's appearance, only it's strength. I like that it's tucked in there for a better departure angle and enclosed so the inside doesn't rust.

Is it safe to assume the unibody or mounting bolt holes would bend/wallow before the clevis mounts broke? I can have someone weld on additional support besides the 8 factory bolts later. I just need a rear attachment point before next weekend.

A little OT, but that L and L front winch bumper looks like a terrific deal.

I don't know how to weld and I don't really care about the bumper's appearance, only it's strength. I like that it's tucked in there for a better departure angle and enclosed so the inside doesn't rust.

Is it safe to assume the unibody or mounting bolt holes would bend/wallow before the clevis mounts broke? I can have someone weld on additional support besides the 8 factory bolts later. I just need a rear attachment point before next weekend.

You could just find a NAXJA member with fab skills and toss em some coin. I know a guy in Colorado... :eyes:

I don't like how little of the body the Roxolid bumper covers. It is so simple and does not follow the lines of the jeep at all.

I would go with the ebay one too. Or find a NAXJA member like he said ^

I don't really care about the bumper's appearance, only it's strength.

Then neither would be a good choice.You need all the mountings points(at least 16) with full support(not just flat stock).It should look something like this......
0217065-R1-028-12A.jpg

Yeah, I know I should. I want to get his front winch bumper as well.
leonard0909frntbmper24.jpg
I have that Logan's Metal's front bumper and love it. I get lots of complements on it. Check their website. They have a matching rear bumper that's good looking and moderately priced. Not much rocker panel protection and I'm not sure about the mounting. But, at least it's not just square tube.

Here's a link. Yes, that's my silver '01 with their front bumper pictured on their site, but I'm not paid to promote them. Just a happy customer.

Last edited:
I would not use a bumper that only mounts with the 8 stock mount bolts for any serious recovery. The rear bulkhead is not strong enough. Look for one that attaches inside the frame rails in addition to the stock bumper mounts..

I have that Logan's Metal's front bumper and love it. I get lots of complements on it. Check their website. They have a matching rear bumper that's good looking and moderately priced. Not much rocker panel protection and I'm not sure about the mounting. But, at least it's not just square tube.

Here's a link. Yes, that's my silver '01 with their front bumper pictured on their site, but I'm not paid to promote them. Just a happy customer.

You're talking about someone else. Though similar, the winch bumper pics I posted are from a guy in NC who makes them on the side.

I had a roxolid front winch bumper for a while. It was heavy. but built very well. I really liked it. and boy did it take a beating.

that being said the mounting on there rear bumper is not nearly enough. If you can find someone to add in the rear frame rail supports then Im sure the rest of the bumper would be strong enough.

One guy mentioned flat-stock not being enough then posted a pic of some insane tie-ins. Im sure if you used angle instead of flat-stock it would be plenty strong.

When I get another XJ to play with, I'll be cutting open the ends of the framerails and sticking 4x2 as far in as I possibly can, then spot-welding it through the framerail, and mounting my bumper to that.

Back