• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring diagram interpretation question

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

So I finally threw down on a FSM for my 2001 XJ, and am laying out the plan for my first project based on the information contained therein: the incredibly difficult process of installing a hard-wire kit for my Valentine One.

In past vehicles, I've always just popped the dashboard off and tapped into the cigarette lighter wire, then run the wires all the way around the foot well, up the A-pillar, and into the ceiling. Needless to say, now that I've grown a bit, I would rather do it in a more civilized fashion.

I've been pouring over the FSM's wiring diagrams and I think I understand what to look for now, but one aspect just throws me for a loop: the cigar lighter relay output wire is red? The only solid red wire (no stripe) in the entire vehicle's wiring system? The latter assumption does not include engine bay wiring (large-gauge stuff).

From my understanding:

- The ignition switch controls circuit A31, which has two states: "on" when the key is in the "run" or "accessory" states (position 2 or 4, respectively), and "off" otherwise.
- Circuit A31 triggers the cigar lighter relay, which in turn provides power to circuit F30. Just the cigar lighter resides on this circuit.

Is this interpretation correct? If so, and if everything else I've read makes sense, then the wire description of "F30 16 RD" means it's a 16 gauge solid red wire that represents circuit F30 (circuit F, segment 30).

Did I understand what I read and pieced together correctly? I know it sounds dumb, but I really want to make sure my understanding of the FSM's wiring diagrams is on-track before I fill my head with lies and misunderstandings.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds right. You interpreted the wire description correctly.

How much power does the Valentine One draw? If you have a dome light or an overhead console, you can tap the wiring in there... Pink is constant-on 12V, black is ground. If you have an OHC or RKE, ignition switched +12V is the white/black wire that is *not* part of a twisted pair cable with the other wire being violet/brown (yes, in their infinite wisdom Chrysler used white/black as a color code for two separate wires going to many of the same modules. One is ignition switched power and the other is one of the CCD bus wires.)

Back