• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my new xj 89 5sp

1baddxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just pick up this 89 xj 4x4 5sp this is my first jeep build, ive buit many 11 sec cars but no whelers so here's goes nothing, the xj already has a 3" rubicon xpress lift (not sure if this is good or not) and brand new stock tires. but im looking to go 4.5 on the lift and bigger tires maybe 33's i need a good trail rig nothing extreme but i do alot of fishing and camping so i thought this would be fun any advise would be greatly appricated Thanks

i got pics but im not sure how to post them

oh yea it has 200,000 miles but its running strong it just needed a new raditor, that really surpised me :looney:

Last edited:
I would say with 33's go with 5.5" lift and trim your fenders I had an XJ with about 300,000 miles on it and it still ran real strong with no signs of quiting. You can do the 4.5 and 33's with triming and the right bump stops. I run about 5" lift with 32's and my fenders are chopped.

thanks for the advise are their any particular brands i should stay away from and are long arm kits necessary I've been looking around the site and i couldn't find a lot of info on them

keep it at 3" and trim to fit 33's theres no need for 5.5" and 33's 4.5" at most

I'd probably stick with the lift that's on it, I'm at 3.5 in the front and 5 in the rear (was 3.5 but needed longer shackles to flex/ride better.) You can fit 33s no problem if you don't mind cutting some sheetmetal.

Upload the pics to imageshack.us (you can get an account for free) and then copy the text out of the "forum" box under "embed thumbnails of this image" and paste it into the message box here.

Long arm would be nice you would get good flex, but with the uses you want it for and the lift between 3.5 and 4.5 short arms would be fine in my opinion and still be very capable. I run RE lift on mine I hear most complaints mainly about Rusty's and Rough Country.

Recovery points even for mild tail use. A good towing strap and/or a come-a-long. A high boy jack and your set for mild trail use.
If you want MAX use with min repairs/mods.
Keep the tires small (31) or else you will need to regear, stronger axle. more lift, better steering etc,
Even for mild use that 5 sp don't like big tires and will take it out on your ckuch evey time.
If it's a mall crawer you can get a way with a lot but start hitting the trails much and watch them big tires eat your clutch up fast.(without some big regearing)
OR keep it simple and sweet.

Last edited:
thanks for all the info I'm gona get started with the 33" tires(what brands to you guys recommend ) and do some trimming then maybe go with a different lift in the future. would a clutch with a greater holding capacity be a good upgrade if i decided to go to hit the trails a little harder ?

Back