• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question w pictures

xjcase

NAXJA Forum User
The other day I went to fire up the xj and I let off the starter a half second too soon - made a weird noise then obviously didn't start. Started it again after a few seconds and I hear a new noise and it idles at 1,000 rpms in neutral and park. Look under the hood to see this guy:

IMG_20101017_172642.jpg

IMG_20101017_172652.jpg

Sooo... what goes there? a hose or a cap? I didn't and couldn't find any hoses that were hanging down anywhere but I could have overlooked it.

And secondly, why would this phantom blocker come off after a weird start?

Thanks in advacne

Should go to the hose on the brake booster... not sure why it isn't connected. This is your 2000 in your signature right? Doesn't look like a stock brake master cylinder/booster either so maybe you forgot to connect it or it popped off?

hmmm... well in reviewing past pictures I just had a rubber cap on there. Any ideas why it would get blown off for any reason?

It's capped now - however it doesn't seem to roar up as much on start up, almost like it's hindered. It runs and idles fine however...

And I don't think it was spring creek this happened at the movie theater parking lot. I should go look for my little rubber cap there maybe haha.

Should go to the hose on the brake booster... not sure why it isn't connected. This is your 2000 in your signature right? Doesn't look like a stock brake master cylinder/booster either so maybe you forgot to connect it or it popped off?

Yup, looks like it's got a hydro-boost system, either a "home made" GM product or maybe one from Vanco, if they make one for the XJ.
I believe they do as they make one for the TJ and the XJ is pretty much the same.

Fred

Nifty, guess that explains why the vac boost line isn't hooked up!

I'd stick a cork in it and wrap it with duct tape :gee: till I went to the junkyard next and happened to find a cap of the right size.

Do you have a better pic of the whole engine compartment? I would like to see what the brace you have there looks like in tottal if you could? It just looks like a good idea for making the front a bit more rigid?

BTW.... I agree with "Rockslut" about the backfire thing thats what I would think did it ass well.

A small intake backfire could push the plug off it is a little lose, possibly what happened when you let off the starter too soon. Get one that is snug then use a wire tie to hold it on.. or small hose clamp. You noticed that it doesn't idle as high because you plugged a vacuum leak.

Back