• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Highest Lift without changing shocks, brake lines, control arms...

GunshowfoshoW

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i want to lift my new cherokee its a '98. i cant afford a lift kit right now or else id go with the 5.5 inch RE lift. Can i go 3" without changing control arms, brake lines, and shocks? whats the cheapest and safest way of gaining this 3"?

sorry guys i searched but no bueno.

How much of what you will need is somewhat dependent on the tire size you're considering running.

2" - stock everything will work, but you'll be slightly limited in down travel(by the shocks) a combination of pucks, extended shackles and (very short, steel)lift blocks
3" - need new shocks, may need to relocate brake line brackets(frame side) and extend bump stops. 'Want longer/taller springs at this point.
4" - Probably going to need extended brake lines at this point. Possibly going to need longer/adjustable control arms. Start thinking about drop brackets.

I'm at 3.5/5 (front/rear) with stock control arms, stock track bar, stock shocks in the front... did coils, leafs, shackles, and rear shocks (to compensate for the rebuilt rear shock crossmember I built.) The shocks are acting as limiting straps but it's a beater and I haven't found the time to care, since I haven't gotten stuck yet and will be buying new shocks for the next XJ anyways. I carry spare control arms, but haven't broken/significantly bent any yet.

No rear bumpstops (they rusted off and again, don't care, next build will be properly bumpstopped) and stock front bumpstops... I just cut/BFH-massaged the fenders to clear.

You really do want to use extended brake lines though, broken brake lines are kinda scary / death-inducing.

However, if you can't afford to lift it you probably shouldn't. Trail breaks and the ensuing repairs get expensive and budget lifting is asking for breaks.

You can get decent shocks that are taller for fairly cheap.
But typically 2" you can get away with stock stuff.
V8 ZJ upcountry coils, bastard leaf pack, gabriel ultra shocks for a Zj upcountry

1.75 spacers and xj main with eyes cut off for 2" stock everything else, droop was limited but it worked whole setup costed 700 incuding jeep and tires
New_DD_009.jpg

New_DD_025.jpg
http://www.tremek.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/895/ppuser/4136

I ran 3" spacers in the front with stock shocks and control arms for a while with 30s and sway bars, then with no sway bar and uncut fenders, then cut fenders. I had 1.5" shackles in the rear with stock leaves and shocks. It did alright. I mainly did it because I needed to make room for the 30's I got and RRO sent me an extra spacer. I later pulled the spacers and ran a 4.5" RE coil up front with "custom" extended shocks. ;)That worked reasonably well also, but the Jeep wasn't a DD. With stock lowers it rode like poo. I later got a DPG/RE 4" kit and installed the RE lowers, shocks, and leafs. I kept my 4.5s up front though, sold the 3.5s that came with it.

I'd say either get a BB (spacers and longer shackles) and then put together a lift later. Buy the long arm upgrade from RE or whoever you decide is best later after more research, buy the coils you want and the leafs you want. You can reuse the spacers and shackles with the later lift if you want. You'll need longer shackles with your lift with most leafs as they are usually longer.
Or just save your money and buy the lift you want without spending extra on a small lift now. Do it once, do it right. You can still piece together the lift you want here as well. Depending on your wheeling style and terrain, you may not want RE coils or leafs. Maybe you end up with T&T Y-link with Deaver leafs and Clayton coils, research what's out there and customize what you want to fit what you want to do.

With a 2" BB or 3" AAL kit and Treadwrights, you're looking at about $700 in parts plus getting the new tires mounted and a front end alignment. Unless you have a total beater, I'd start your budget at around $800. If you can't touch that, you should probably hold off.

Back