• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nothing from the AW4 Transmission

always89

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,
So, we have th rebuilt engine in, and everything runs fine, with the exception of the transmission.

We refilled the tranny (after pulling it and the engine and seperating them), and changed the filter out.

We installed the engine, and then the transmission. Everything lined right up and we bolted hem together. Almost to easy really.

Now, Im not getting anything from the Transmission. It seems to shift through everthing easy enough, but no power to the wheels in any gear.

Any ideas what I may have forgottn?Power cables are good and hooked up correctly.

The hoses are a different story. Im not sure what rubber hoses go where, but it sems fairly self explainitory.

Re: Bothing rom the AW4 Transmission

Stupid question time... are you sure the transfer case is in gear? If you left it in neutral you won't go anywhere.

Did you put the torque converter in the transmission, make sure it was fully seated, then bolt the bellhousing to the engine and then the torque converter to the flywheel? If you did not do this, you probably damaged the torque converter neck or fluid pump gear.

That's about all I can think of right now. Did you check the fluid level after running it for a little while and shifting through all the gears?

It's running up and shifting, but acts like its not connected to the wheels? Transfer case in gear?

Tes, I made sure the TC was seated, mounted th tranny, and then secure the flywheel to the TC.When shifting, there is no response from the Tranny, other than the slight clicking on the gear selector .

Is the transmission shift cable properly attached to both the shift lever in the cab and the shift selector arm on the side of the transmission?

Kastein,
Yes it is. watching the shifter from undernieth, it goes through all of the gears. There is just no response from the tranny. Almost as if the pump isnt working.

Hmm... that is rather odd :(

TV cable hooked up to the throttle body and properly adjusted?

I can't think of anything aside from fluid level and severe internal damage that would cause this.

Ill say!

Its sure slow going filling the tranny. Is that normal? Im filling from the dipsticl tube.

Yeah... it kinda blows, eh? One of those long skinny funnels helps a lot, jam it into the tube pretty solidly and it won't even splutter fluid everywhere. Don't put more than 4 quarts or so in at a time or you'll probably overfill it, just put it in, let it sit for about 5 minutes so it all drains down the tube so you can get a decent level reading, then run the engine a bit and shift through the gears and check the level. from bottom to top of the hashmarks on the dipstick is 1 pint iirc.

"Bothering Rom" is fat fingers for "Nothing From"

I think im getting ahead of myself. When we pulled the tranny, we drained it. It sat around for a month, and slowly drained out completely.

Right now, we only have a little less than 4 quarts. Im sure the lack of fluid has to be the problem. Probably not even enough for the pump to pick up yet hu?

I didnt ralize it takes 9 quarts!

oh, I didn't realize it was open for so long! Yeah toss some more fluid in it and see what happens. Just check the level first every time you go to add some.

More like 13 quarts.

You are way low on ATF. When I picked up my low-buck special, we had to put 2 quarts in it just to get it to move, then another 2 to get it up to the cold line on the dipstick. Seeing as how the capacity is near 13 quarts, you need at least 11 in it to get it to move.

Did you empty the TC also? If not, then you won't need as much.

Back