• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross Over Steering

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
OK I recently bent my Drag Link pretty nasty, and I have a stock Trac BAr still on a 6.5" Rusty's LA lift. My question is what is the best most complete Cross Over style steering kit?

I am looking at Rusty's:
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RS-SC300-UV&Category_Code=ste

this appears to be a croos over and OTK. $490 doesn't seem all too bad for all it comes with either.

What will this kit entail for install?
are there similar kits on the market for less $?
Is this kit even worth lookin into?

Very similar to my kit. You will need to drill out the pitman arm and steering knuckles to I believe 5/8s, cut off and or relocate your sway bar mounts, cut off or trim the current track bar mount and weld on the new one, make sure your wheels have enough backspacing.

http://froehlichsuspension.com/steering.htm

http://froehlichsuspension.com/track-bar.htm

I dont have it bundled together on the site but I would be more that willing to do that for you for a better price.

im not a fan of anything rustys that has to do with steering. and those look like heim joints as well. heims in steering tend to wear our quickly and start to squeak and rattle like crazy. just my .02. I think there is much better out there.

i wouldnt stack the draglink and tierod on top of one another like that without a tab welded to the knuckle to make it double sheer. i have a similar setup but i run the draglink on top and the tie rod on the bottom. you could look at the IRO steering. or if you want true OTK look at teraflex or the ORO u-turn kit.

I am running a Bulletproof brand crossover steering setup with the tie rod and drag link heims stacked on top of each other with no issues. I have had this system for about 3 years and have yet to replace a heim. This system is IMHO the best system you can get for the XJ.

I want something stronger than stock, I need a new drag link tie rod so I figure go for a complete kit now

Well I have a HD tierod but need a new Drag LInk so I figured I'd go to a good HD cross over steering. I was gonna do Rusty's but I was talked out of it so I am leaning towards Bullet Proff now. Anyone have any suggestions for a Cross OVer steering that works well on the road and is strong?

This is for a 1992 XJ with 6.5" lift for now but likely going down to 4.5"

I like the JRC listed above and may go with it. Anyone have experiance with it?

JCR's steering setup is decent, and uses easily available (and cheap to replace) TREs from a 1 ton chevy truck. Over the knuckle has some issues though because you are flipping the TREs over in a way they were not designed to be used. this causes what most people refer to as a dead spot in the steering. it can be partially corrected with a spacer to take up the slack but they wear out and need to be checked and replaced regularly.

I'm not knocking the setup at all, I have it and don't mind it at all... but my rig is not a daily driver. My main reason for going with this setup was because of the amount of lift I have since going to coilovers up front - I am high up enough (for now, coming down soon because it's just too tall) that I would be close to maxing out a high misalignment heim joint at ride height.

Mines not a DD but I want it street friendly. Thats why I am considering crossover. I don't plan on OTK

Back