• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

snapped CCV fitting

xj2001jz

NAXJA Forum User
Just yesterday I noticed a hissing noise coming from the engine (2001 xj 4.0) and found that i have a crack in the rear hose from the valve cover to the intake manifold. Long story short...how the heck do you remove the fitting from the valve cover? do i have to remove the grommet do this? Thanks.

The grommet holds the 90* fitting in. They are just pushed in, so try to pull it out. Its probably the original so the grommet will probably be hard and the fitting brittle. You might just want to try to pry the grommet out with the fitting.

If it's the original grommet and 90° fitting, then you'll most likely have to destroy both to remove it. The good news is that they're relatively cheap and easy to find at most any parts store. I just replace the front pieces on a 96 that I'm working on for a buddy, and they only cost $8 total from the local O'Reilly Auto Parts.

If it's the original grommet and 90° fitting, then you'll most likely have to destroy both to remove it. The good news is that they're relatively cheap and easy to find at most any parts store. I just replace the front pieces on a 96 that I'm working on for a buddy, and they only cost $8 total from the local O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Were you able to get a hard line to replace it with? Or just some rubber hose? I broke mine this weekend when putting a new header on the XJ. I just patched it with some rubber hose for now. :looser:

Were you able to get a hard line to replace it with? Or just some rubber hose? I broke mine this weekend when putting a new header on the XJ. I just patched it with some rubber hose for now. :looser:

Rubber hose will work fine as a temporary fix, but may not hold up as well to heat & vibration as the hard line over time depending on the type of hose used.

My recollection from doing the same thing on a friend's '89 was that we just headed over to the local auto parts store and found what they had that fit; there's nothing particularly special about them other than length and inner & outer diameters. Junkyarding it may be an option, though - I've rarely seen those lines in bad shape.

You should be able to get away with permanently patching with rubber line as long as it's rated for fuel and/or oil. Regular heater or vacuum hose will just disintegrate.

Or you could go to NAPA or any other parts store and find a something like this. Cut out what you need, and be done with it.

Or as Casm pointed out, grab one from the junkyard next time you're there.

Thanks Mike and Casm. I used a rubber hose rated for Fuel so sounds like it should be okay. After having some oil drip from the broke hard line Im going to pick up an Air/Water separator to clean things up a bit.

Back