• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RHD interior trim piece part number request

casm

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed a small but (for my needs) potentially-useful difference in how the gearshift bezel is laid out on automatic RHD XJs vs. LHD models. Take a look at the photo below:

TIv2A.jpg

Note that the gear indicator strip in the transmission shifter bezel has been moved from the left of the shift lever to the right of the shift lever. This has moved the normally-blank space to the left, which may be advantageous for locating a couple of switches in there.

Could someone with the appropriate reference materials please let me know what the part number is for that RHD shifter bezel? If it helps, I'd ideally be looking for it to match an Agate interior, but would be interested to know what other colour options may be available.

Late edit: forgot to specify that this would be for a '97-up XJ; specifically, a 2000.

Last edited:
You're looking for a 5EK07 LAZAB, fits AW4 equipped 2/4wd 2000 XJs. Only Agate is listed in the catalog so you got lucky.

MSRP is $92 :shocked:

You're looking for a 5EK07 LAZAB, fits AW4 equipped 2/4wd 2000 XJs. Only Agate is listed in the catalog so you got lucky.

Sweet!

MSRP is $92 :shocked:

Damn ;) Thanks, though.

Time to see if I can get someone on the other side of the pond to pull one for me on their next junkyard trip. $92 is way too pricey for this experiment.

why not just put them in the blank space on the right side of the shifter now?

i realize pre 97 is slightly different but the idea is the same. ive had this switch on mine for years for my e-fan and i use it a lot. very easy to get to even though its on that side

IMG_0859.jpg

Does it look the same underneath as the LHD version? Are the brackets for the clips and shift indicator indexing tab in the same spots? Curious if it would actually snap right in or if you would have to rework the bracketry to get it to mount up right.

100_7999.jpg

Great point!

Not sure about the clip positions, but the gearshift lever and base assembly IS different RHD vs LHD.

LHD part number: 5210 4005AB
RHD part number: 5210 4007AB

My suspicion is that this difference is for the angle of the gearshift lever (it appears to tip slightly to the right on yours, and probably tips slightly to the left on RHD models) or is to handle the fact that the shift interlock button is on the other side of the shift grip on RHD models, but I am not sure.

On the lhd pre 97, the gear selection indicator (the red strip that shows what gear you are in) assembly is held in place by the hole to the left of the shifter in the pic above. Without it, the bezel maynot snap in place correctly, and may not function correctly. I was wondering about this as soon as I saw the post, fyrfytr beat me to the post though :D

Not sure how much of this applies to the 97+ interioir as I've never had one apart, but i'd want to see the shifter assembly before I made the swap just to add some switches. Just food for thought.

The part comes in a cheesy fake wood grain on the Orvis model (a higher spec model available in Europe):

It appears to be a slightly different fake woodgrain to the 'standard' fake woodgrain. The headlamp levellers would be nice to have, though.

why not just put them in the blank space on the right side of the shifter now?

Using the space on the right was the basic plan, but may not be totally doable due to switch size (they're Carling Conturas - and I'm not keen on using a different type of switch). May have found a workaround, however. Details:

Does it look the same underneath as the LHD version? Are the brackets for the clips and shift indicator indexing tab in the same spots? Curious if it would actually snap right in or if you would have to rework the bracketry to get it to mount up right.

100_7999.jpg

From what I can tell, the LHD and RHD mounting bracketry are the same; I'll try to verify this against one of the local postal XJs during the week. But, as relates to the switches:

On the lhd pre 97, the gear selection indicator (the red strip that shows what gear you are in) assembly is held in place by the hole to the left of the shifter in the pic above. Without it, the bezel may not snap in place correctly, and may not function correctly.

Yep, that's what the little bracket at about the 10 o'clock position is used for; it also snaps in place against the centre console. What's apparently not used, though (at least as far as I can tell), is the bracket at about the 5 o'clock position with the centre console mounting screw sunk into it.

Here's what I'm running into: I can get one switch of the type that I want to use into the blank space on the LHD bezel without a problem. Two is proving tricky, however.

The issue is being able to mount two of them in a vertical row in such a way that the switch wiring doesn't interfere with the bracket that the shifter lever mounts to. Looking at the bracket at the 5 o'clock position again, if the excess visible metal was cut off of it that should give the space needed for the switches, but the switch-to-wiring clearance would be *very* tight at the shifter.

I need to re-eyeball this to verify (it's early and I haven't had any caffeine yet), but my recollection is that the RHD bezel would let me get two switches in to the south of that bracket at 10 o'clock without any clearance issues with the wiring. It's just one of those things I'd rather not risk if it can be designed out in the first place.

In any event, it seems fairly certain that this can be done on either side; it's just a question of how confident I am in the wiring not interfering with the shifter bracketry in the LHD configuration. One thing a $92 RHD shifter bezel does do, however, is make just cutting that one bracket and seeing what happens in practice look very appealing.

Last edited:
Yep, that's what the little bracket at about the 10 o'clock position is used for; it also snaps in place against the centre console. What's apparently not used, though (at least as far as I can tell), is the bracket at about the 5 o'clock position with the centre console mounting screw sunk into it.

What I was alluding to in my earlier post is that I thought maybe the RHD needs the unused "5 o'clock" bracket for the indicator indexing tab since the indicator window is on the opposite side of the shifter. I'd at least try to verify it one way or the other before cutting off that bracket, in case you come across a reasonably priced RHD bezel that you want to use.

What I was alluding to in my earlier post is that I thought maybe the RHD needs the unused "5 o'clock" bracket for the indicator indexing tab since the indicator window is on the opposite side of the shifter. I'd at least try to verify it one way or the other before cutting off that bracket, in case you come across a reasonably priced RHD bezel that you want to use.

Ah, OK. Gotcha. Makes sense, and that was more or less the plan - but it hadn't occurred to me that that may be the RHD index slot. Good call on that.

FWIW, We've got a half-dozen RHD postal XJs doing mail duty around here and I live pretty close to the main post office, so hopefully I can get a reference eyeball on them in the next day or two. If I can talk someone into letting me have their RHD bezel for whatever a LHD one costs at the junkyard, even better :scottm:

Back