• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Puzzled

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Went to a local drivetrain shop to pick up a rebuild kit for my 231 today and during all the bsing, the guy at the counter said I should run 10w-30 in my tcase. Huh? Then he went on about oil being a lubricant and ATF just being a hydraulic fluid. I understand that part of this. But reg. oil in tcase?

Please move to OEM section. Thank you

Last edited:
99% of the people I know run ATF. Including me.
Of those people, none of them have had any issues with their t-case caused by fluid problems (with the exception of low fluid from leaking that chit everywhere).
Going off that, logic says ATF is perfectly fine to use in t-cases and that you should look for a new drivetrain shop.

I liked at that guy like he had a third eye when he said that. I have NEVER heard using reg oil in t case. That's why I'm asking here.

i have heard of people using thinner weight oils in a 231.

too thick though and the pump can't move it around.

i would stick to regular ol' dex/merc. if it aint broke, dont fix it

x2 on what ktm racer 419 said.

231/242 cases don't require the properties of ATF, just a thin enough lubricating oil. Found a reference online that lists Dex III/IV as 6-8cSt viscosity, not sure if that's room or op temp. So using the chart from http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html (40C column, that's ~100F and transfer cases don't get much above that unless there is something wrong with them...) you would be off the bottom of the chart well below a 5W SAE motor oil. You could probably get away with a 0W motor oil if you had nothing else and it's certainly better than running it dry, but I would just run regular ATF of whatever variety I had on hand.

x2 on what ktm racer 419 said.

231/242 cases don't require the properties of ATF, just a thin enough lubricating oil. Found a reference online that lists Dex III/IV as 6-8cSt viscosity, not sure if that's room or op temp. So using the chart from http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html (40C column, that's ~100F and transfer cases don't get much above that unless there is something wrong with them...)

just throwin it out there.

when in arizona after my t-case issues i was a little paranoid so i spit on my 231 to see how hot it was. my spit sizzled off. so the case was above boiling point.

then i was worried, so i spit on my friend adam's 242. my spit sizzled just as much.

t-case has had about 20k miles put on it since with no issues.:dunno:

Good point... hmmm I'll have to look up a viscosity graph for ATF to really tell. Looks like once it gets to op temp, 20W would be fine... so maybe you could use 0W20? I'm talking out my ass on that one though so check it yourself or just use ATF. Only real thing too-thick oil will do is grenade the oil pump, though.

yea, i knew a kid who ran 90 weight gear oil in his and he got about 30 miles out of it

hahahaha holy shit, 90W? That's a 50W motor oil, about 28 times too viscous :explosion

Hmmmm.. Good info here guys. Thanks. I'm rebuilding the case tomorrow and when the counter guy said that it got me thinking. I've already had this thing opened up once 3 weeks ago and really really don't wanna do this again.

just throwin this out there. i use +4 in mine. not because i heard it makes any difference at all but because it is a slicker fluid than dex/merc so it couldnt hurt also doesnt seem to get burnt and dark quiet as easily. Also just throwin this out there most people may already know i looked up some TSB's (technical service bulletins) on cherokees and they say they want you to use +4 in all year cherokees now. just a little added info

i am curious as to what fluid i should run in my box 4 rox 231 doubler case since all that is in it is the planetary gear set. i would think i could run heavier oil instead of atf since there is no pump or chain.

i am curious as to what fluid i should run in my box 4 rox 231 doubler case since all that is in it is the planetary gear set. i would think i could run heavier oil instead of atf since there is no pump or chain.

You could just give it to me and i'll make the decision and let you know what works.:D

I'd probably just run more of the same so I could fill both from the same bottle.

just throwin it out there.

when in arizona after my t-case issues i was a little paranoid so i spit on my 231 to see how hot it was. my spit sizzled off. so the case was above boiling point.

then i was worried, so i spit on my friend adam's 242. my spit sizzled just as much.

t-case has had about 20k miles put on it since with no issues.:dunno:

Yep that thing runs hot. I have B&M temp gauge on my 231. Yesterday it was 12c/??f and highway running for 1/2 an hour, the gauge was reading 240c, that is the yellow portion of the B&M gauge. This is with fresh dexIII fluid. If i can run motor oil there i will. Maybe a 0 or 5/30? -B

Back