• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheapest way to get an axle with 4.56 gears under my jeep?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 cherokee and the rear end was destroyed in a roll over. I'm trying to get it road worthy again but need to find a new rear end. Currently it has a bent up Chrysler 8.25 with an LSD and 4.56 gears.

What are my options to get a new rear end with 4.56 gears that'll fit my jeep?

Local shop quoted me 550 to install gears and new bearing kit in another 8.25. Anything cheaper out there?

Depending how bent up it is can the gears and LSD be salvaged? I would think that going for another 8.25 would be the easiest and cheapest if saving those parts is possible.

I tore up a D44 by ripping a tube almost totally out of it and breaking the center section to the point the axle shaft had to be cut off to get the locker out. I salvaged the gears and ARB for way cheaper than I could have replaced with used or new stuff.

Is that price for YOUR gears put in another axle, or for new?

Junk yard, 4 cyl, manual trans. D-35 or 27 spline 8.25... FACTORY.. They are out there but would need to look real hard.

BTW we need pics of this roll over!!!!!

I have a 96 cherokee and the rear end was destroyed in a roll over. I'm trying to get it road worthy again but need to find a new rear end. Currently it has a bent up Chrysler 8.25 with an LSD and 4.56 gears.

What are my options to get a new rear end with 4.56 gears that'll fit my jeep?

Local shop quoted me 550 to install gears and new bearing kit in another 8.25. Anything cheaper out there?

$550 for new gears and installation is pretty standard, you might be able to find a little cheaper if you shop around. If the $550 includes a new 8.25 housing I would jump all over that price.

Better yet, if you have time learn to do it yourself. Just need some time, lots of patience, and a few tools. Get a junkyard 8.25 or Dana 44 and build it up.

Junk yard, 4 cyl, manual trans. D-35 or 27 spline 8.25... FACTORY.. They are out there but would need to look real hard.

BTW we need pics of this roll over!!!!!
Actually 4.56s were RARE, as only some of the 2.5L/Auto had them. Most of the 2.5Ls had 4.10s
If 4.10s were an option there is a member over at cherokee forum that has a complete 8.25 with 4.10s

Depending how bent up it is can the gears and LSD be salvaged? I would think that going for another 8.25 would be the easiest and cheapest if saving those parts is possible.

I tore up a D44 by ripping a tube almost totally out of it and breaking the center section to the point the axle shaft had to be cut off to get the locker out. I salvaged the gears and ARB for way cheaper than I could have replaced with used or new stuff.

That is the price for new gears.

I didn't know I could reuse the gears I already have.

How much extra labor do you think it would be to remove the gears?

Actually 4.56s were RARE, as only some of the 2.5L/Auto had them. Most of the 2.5Ls had 4.10s

correct. i found an mj at a junkyard with the 2.5L and AW4. the axles were 4.56 but it was 2WD & D35:(

Search NAXJA and google, there are plenty of write-ups out there on gear installs.

550 is a bad ass deal, it just cost me 2200 to go to 4.56's front and rear... C8.25 and d30
so cut that price and half and it cost me around 1100 an axle...

If the gears and LSD are salvagable you could easily pull them yourself with just some basic handtools. Open the diff cover and drain the oil and look really good at the ring/pinion for damage. The concern I would have is that the axle shafts flexed and bent/broke parts inside the LSD that you can't really see with it assembled. Just make sure of what spline count your old axle is before the shop or you go buying a replacement axle with the wrong spline shafts if you plan to reuse the LSD.

Like the other guys said post pics of the axle and we can get a better idea what your working with.

I can't see you having much over an hour for labor to pull the old gearset out if a shop were to do it. Even if you pick up another 8.25 your still going to have to pull the gearset from that one to have your 4.56's installed. I know I'd be atleast pulling the old one apart to see what was going on inside.

Any good shop is going to want a master install kit to set the gears up with so doing a bit of work on your end could offset that cost.

Last edited:
I got some 4.56 geared stock axles out of an 86. They ran me $300 bucks. Found em on car-part.com and had to drive 3 hours to get them...well worth it though

Back