• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken bolt

bert01xj

NAXJA Forum User
broke the rear two bolts on the trans cross member tried to drill and tap failed now what i don't have a welder.can i put the two in and limp it to a shop or is that a bad idea

you can always drop a bolt in through the floor as a temporary solution. Most people end up making a nut strip or weld in a new nut inside the frame rails.

Just to be sure, you broke one on each end of the crossmember and the 2 studs are still good? If so, yes, you should be OK with easy driving.

Not sure, go real easy on the skinny pedal.

I would just bore a hole through the floor into the inside of the frame rail, through-drill the hole, put a grade 8 washer and bolt on it, shoot the hole in the floorboard with some rustoleum, slap a piece of duct tape down over a quarter or random piece of metal, and drop the carpet back on it though :dunno:

depends on the shop and how good they are, could be anything from properly drilling/tapping or replacing the weldnut, to through bolting it, to :gee: hacking up your frame and booger welding things together randomly till it stays in one place long enough for your tail lights to disappear from sight.

So what happened? Did you break a tap? Hole off center? ???

Similar to you, I broke both studs trying to take them out. Broke a tap in one and gave up. Put the crossmember back up with the two bolts and drove it 30 miles to my shop. Tried to weld a nut to the studs and still could not get them out. Ended up cutting the stud nut out and welding a nut inside the frame rail on both sides. The short of it is, go easy but you should be fine...

Back