• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint Costs

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
It's amazing to me the range of prices in ball joints. $8.66 to $72.89 on Rock Auto's site. What is the difference between cheap and expensive? Just that some are greasable? I don't have a lot of money, but also need new ball joints and don't want to replace them in six months.

Re: Ball Join Costs

It's amazing to me the range of prices in ball joints. $8.66 to $72.89 on Rock Auto's site. What is the difference between cheap and expensive? Just that some are greasable? I don't have a lot of money, but also need new ball joints and don't want to replace them in six months.

It's a case of 'you get what you pay for'. Cheaper ones are typically made to lower tolerances and are non-greasable; expect a shorter service lifespan with them. How short will depend on how you're using your XJ and how much wear and tear they're subsequently enduring... But I wouldn't trust an $8 ball joint to last.

FWIW, Moog is typically a good bet and usually falls somewhere in the middle of the price range.

my last set of mogs lasted 6 months, friend had the same deal, these were stock street driven rigs, alljeep has spicers for $40 a side

my last set of mogs lasted 6 months, friend had the same deal, these were stock street driven rigs, alljeep has spicers for $40 a side

Huh, weird. I've never heard of that happening before with their stuff.

But yeah, I'd tend to go with Spicer ahead of Moog.

Anyone have an idea on a non-oem, but oem quality ball joint? I just passed 97K on my original ball joints. Seems like a pretty good run going on 11 years later.

x2.

Make sure you get the ones for a regular d30 not a super d30 (WJ, etc.)

Balljoints are enough of a pain in the arse that I prefer to buy good brands to avoid doing it so often.

If you still opt to go with Moog, I got my uppers for $26.40 per side and lowers for $29.02 per side with free shipping from Auto Parts Express.

Edit: Yikes, I guess they realized their price on them was fairly low as I just checked and they were $39.11 and $42.99. So, yea, nevermind that. Go with the Spicers...

If you still opt to go with Moog, I got my uppers for $26.40 per side and lowers for $29.02 per side with free shipping from Auto Parts Express.

Edit: Yikes, I guess they realized their price on them was fairly low as I just checked and they were $39.11 and $42.99. So, yea, nevermind that. Go with the Spicers...

Oh sure way to go.... post up your prices and they up them.... ;)

Teamgrandwagoneer dot com, Rugged Trail or some brand like that - $82 both sides. Moog/Federal Mogul had some bad times a few years back, and there were some "counterfeit" parts made. Now everything is made in other countries just like all the other junk brands, except for the pricey race parts.

Back