• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electronic/wiring EXPERTS: HELP!!!!

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
1984 jeep cherokee Pioneer, 4cylinder, 5spd, 4x4, dana 30 & 35, 2door

so the other day i was on the way to the hospital to see my dad when out of nowhere some serious rain popped outta nowhere. i've only had this jeep for a couple of weeks, so i haven't had the pleasure of driving this one in the rain yet. so i turn my headlights and wipers on, and continue on my way. the headlights were as bright as ever, but the wipers(which i had never turned on before) were slow at best, even on hi. oh well, i kept going. as the rain got harder, the jeep started to run like crap- missing, backfiring, and just overall losing power- until it died about 30 seconds in. so i coast to a parking lot, and as i come to a stop, my fusebox starts smoking pretty bad. so i shut everything off- ignition, lights, and wipers, and get out and un hook the battery. i got it towed home, and now it won't start, the headlights work, but the parking lamps and taillamps don't. brakelights still work.
then the fusebox starts smoking again while i'm checking things out, and the parking light fuse is just cooking- smoking, sparking and glowing.:flame:
so i turn the lights back off, and it quits, but has burned the fuse, and melted part of the fusebox. i can tell where the heater blower motor had done this before, thus there was no fuse in that spot.
i turn the key, and get nothing but a groaning, grinding sound from the starter, but no engine turney:(

i pulled the fusebox off the firewall, and see that behind it, the clutch master cylinder has been leaking brake fluid all over me fusebox. from what i've heard from some of you guys, this is fairly common, and causes some headaches for all involved. i can't find a single crispy wire, but all of them that are directly under the clutch master cylinder are wet with brake fluid, so i cleaned them off. the back side of the fusebox doesn't look bad, but the front-fuse side of it has obviously seen better days, although the only fuse i could find that had burnt was the one for the parking lights.

Can i solve my problems by splicing in a new fusebox and replacing the clutch master cylinder?
i haven't seen a single burnt wire yet, under the dash, hood, or otherwise. the ground strap from the battery to the fender isn't perfect, but is still attached and intact.

Can i solve my problems by splicing in a new fusebox and replacing the clutch master cylinder?
i haven't seen a single burnt wire yet, under the dash, hood, or otherwise.

This is the normally recommended course of action to start fixing this issue.

I would start by buying a full 84 FSM on ebay or from techauthority. Don't get a Haynes, they're worthless, and the CDs on ebay for cheap are usually pirated and generally don't actually have all the files you'd need anyways...

Once you have that, you have enough info on the wiring that you can rebuild it as necessary. A new fusebox is probably in your future, stay as close to your model year as you can, I'm not certain whether the motor matters for the fusebox and IP wiring harness (think I looked it up for you a while ago, not sure) but it definitely matters for the engine wiring harness, so try and salvage that if you can.

Kastein, you actually looked up the wiring diagrams for me for my 89 wagoneer, and i think they actually have the same fusebox, just some of the fuse holes are vacant in this one. i wish i could just have someone fix the thing, and be done with it. i hate trying to figure out electrical crap!

If you were anywhere near me I'd tell you what to buy and drop by, but mass to tennessee is a hell of a drive!

ok, so i charged the battery, replaced the burnt fuses, cleaned the fusebox of the nasty brake fluid and turned the key. jeep fired right up!!:party:
so as soon as i have time to mess with it, i'm going to replace the offending clutch master cylinder(not gonna drive it till i do), and maybe try to wire in an inline fuse or two for stuff that hasn't worked since i got the jeep, since i have the fusebox off the firewall and squeaky clean. any suggestions for other stuff i should do while i'm in there?

Inspect ALL wires and check for burned/cracked/melted insulation. I'd go as far as stripping all the tape and loom off the harness a foot or two back from the fusebox. A good way to find bad insulation is to pull the wire through your fingers, you will feel flaws that you won't see. Replace/splice/reinsulate as necessary.

Double/triple check that all fuses are the proper value - on a vehicle that old it is quite possible that a fuse kept blowing for a previous owner and they simply replaced it with a larger value fuse, which could easily cause a melted harness or similar issue.

aight, i'll do that then. i can tell that every problem it's had in the fuse box has been due to the brake fluid issue. i'll look at things really closely before i button it all back up and go back to driving it.

Do you still have this jeep????

1984 jeep cherokee Pioneer, 4cylinder, 5spd, 4x4, dana 30 & 35, 2door

so the other day i was on the way to the hospital to see my dad when out of nowhere some serious rain popped outta nowhere. i've only had this jeep for a couple of weeks, so i haven't had the pleasure of driving this one in the rain yet. so i turn my headlights and wipers on, and continue on my way. the headlights were as bright as ever, but the wipers(which i had never turned on before) were slow at best, even on hi. oh well, i kept going. as the rain got harder, the jeep started to run like crap- missing, backfiring, and just overall losing power- until it died about 30 seconds in. so i coast to a parking lot, and as i come to a stop, my fusebox starts smoking pretty bad. so i shut everything off- ignition, lights, and wipers, and get out and un hook the battery. i got it towed home, and now it won't start, the headlights work, but the parking lamps and taillamps don't. brakelights still work.
then the fusebox starts smoking again while i'm checking things out, and the parking light fuse is just cooking- smoking, sparking and glowing.:flame:
so i turn the lights back off, and it quits, but has burned the fuse, and melted part of the fusebox. i can tell where the heater blower motor had done this before, thus there was no fuse in that spot.
i turn the key, and get nothing but a groaning, grinding sound from the starter, but no engine turney:(

IIRC I have the factory wiring / troubleshooting manual for that rig. I am out of town until Friday but if you PM me then I will dig around and see if I can find it. I may also have the full FSM as well.

It sounds like the fuse box is probably the offender in this case. I know some years ago, I was driving to work in the morning, and all of the sudden my electrics went crazy, the jeep started to studder, and buck. As I was preparing to get off the freeway, it leveled out, and started flying right again. I continued on my way resolving to look into it later. On the way to work I stopped to get some breakfast, turned the car off, went in, got my food, came out, and no start... everything else worked fine, just would not start. So I look under the hood and trace the big wire that powers the starter motor, apparently it had rubbed itself raw against the evap canister and had started arcing... there was about a 4" chunk of wire missing, my positive battery terminal showed signs of partial melting. But that explained what the origin of my issue was.

People!!! This is a 2 year old thread I revived, because there is another 84 four banger for sale here in Houston. I was asking if he still had it, before I asked any other questions, LOL!:D

IIRC I have the factory wiring / troubleshooting manual for that rig. I am out of town until Friday but if you PM me then I will dig around and see if I can find it. I may also have the full FSM as well.

I will keep that in mind, if one of us decides to buy it here locally (the one that I was approached to buy today). I may pass on it, but I may try and it find it a good local Houston area home, in which case the buyer will be interested!!!! Thanks.

Back