• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS swap

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
I found a write up on taking out the ABS system

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

Question is... is it better to look for a Cherokee that comes w/out ABS or is it worth it if it's a good Cherokee to go through the hassle of swapping it out.

I don't 'need' to lift it right away...and when I do ideally i'd like to swap in a Ford 8.8 with stock 4.10 gears anyways which would probably quite a few months down the road.

The reason I ask is I found a 98 w/140k miles, guy says he'll take $3500. Has ABS and 90% sure it's got Dana 35 poo stain in the back. It's fully loaded, power options, has the woodgrain dash bezel and door trim, leather etc. From the pics it seems to be in pretty good condish.

Just not sure if it would be better to start out w/out ABS or if it's not that big of a deal...We're not 'hardcore' wheelers, mainly camping/forest roads/moderate trails but no rock gardens or anything like that. 3" lift, 31" tires etc...

The link is for First Generation ABS removal. 1997-2001, (and maybe earlier years) all you have to do is pull the ABS fuses and relays and your done. The ABS hardware can remain in place and the brakes works just like a non-ABS Cherokee. If the ABS plumbing bothers you you can remove it, no need for a new master cylinder or brake booster. .

X2. And you can drop that turd of a rear axle for pretty cheap anyways like you said, do it during the lift (do an SYE at the same time, you'll want it on a 98) and with installing an 8.8 you'll even save money on shims if you play your cards right.

Back