• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smittybilt suspension seats

I'm hopefully going to buy one soon. If I do, I'll post up how much a pain in the butt it is getting them to work with the XJ slider since Smittbilt refuses to make a bracket for our XJ's.

Adapters are easy to make on the late model mounts,dont have any info on the early style.

Last edited:
I have a set in my TJ. Many hours of seat time on them and they're comfortable.
Planning on buying another set for my XJ as soon as mama lets go of some funds.

I run Twisted Stitch. Relatively new company compared to others, but quality seems to be pretty damn good.

I have the basic Apex seat with D style headrests. I think it was $270 per seat? Well worth it. I could take a nap in them no problem.

Shitty pic.

IMAG0574.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

This is probably a ridiculous question, but let's say I were to get just one seat at least for me because my driver's seat sucks, leans to a side, and is generally very uncomfortable. Is it possible to use the stock seatbelt configuration, or do you immediately need the 4 point (or however many it is) seatbelt harness?

This is probably a ridiculous question, but let's say I were to get just one seat at least for me because my driver's seat sucks, leans to a side, and is generally very uncomfortable. Is it possible to use the stock seatbelt configuration, or do you immediately need the 4 point (or however many it is) seatbelt harness?

Looks to me like the pic above is using the stock seatbelts....

Only problems I can see is they won't hold you in as tightly in a crash since the seat sides are higher and the belt won't hold your butt in the seat bottom like it would on factory seats.

Last edited:
Yup I still have the stock seatbelts, though that's getting changed out shortly.

I would go to 4/5 points as soon as you can, the seatbelts are marginal at best at this point.

I installed a Mastercraft Rubicon seat on the driver side eight years ago when the original seat broke. With a two door and no folding seat back option back then, I left the passenger seat alone or no one could climb in back. I've used the OEM seatbelt everyday since and see no problem with it. Compared to the stock passenger seat, the belt crosses at the same point on my body. The Mastercraft seat holds you tighter, imo, safer too.

DO NOT BUY the Smittybilt's!!! If you want a true suspension seat my choice is Mastercraft. Had a pair in my daily driver YJ for 4 years and loved everyday of it. Saving the cash for some new ones for the XJ's.

About why not to buy the smittybilt's: Poor quality, stitching will rip after a few months, fabric will wear through quickly, and seat brackets on the bottom are sometimes welded on crooked. Save your money, buy a Seat companie seats.

I have a pair of the smitty seats in my xj. The only problem that I have had with them is that they have faded pretty bad. I have had them for just under a year and daily drive. I had a yj with mastercraft rubicon seats and they were a little nicer but cost alot more.

Super happy with my Beard Super T1s. I don't know why you couldn't run the stock belts through the harness slots if you were so inclined.

How did you mount your seats? I really like Twisted Stitch.

I run Twisted Stitch. Relatively new company compared to others, but quality seems to be pretty damn good.

I have the basic Apex seat with D style headrests. I think it was $270 per seat? Well worth it. I could take a nap in them no problem.

Yeah, I'm looking at this too. Seems reasonably easy enough to adapt the 4 tabs to the factory seat bracket. I wish the factory bracket were a bit more "solid".

I didn't use any of the factory brackets/mounting points.

1.5 x .120 square tubing, and 1.5 x .120 angle.

Trans tunnel is plated with 14ga, other side drops down onto my rocker supports.

IMG_2723.jpg

Back