• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Before I become elbow's deep...climate control, question

SoreRunner

NAXJA Forum User
1994 XJ Sport

Climate control only work's with high selection.

Replaced:
New climate control fan motor,
Junk yard harness for driver side plug on climate control,
Tried three different climate control unit's.

I'm going to look into this further with a possible vacuum leak or poor wire connection, but thought I'd throw this question out there.

Do you mean the fan only works in the "high" position ?

If the answer to that is "yes" then the resistor is bad.

wayne

x3+, if the fan only operates on HIGH the resistor pack is toast.

x3+, if the fan only operates on HIGH the resistor pack is toast.

What the best course to take if the fan speed selector doesn't really move up or down to select the speed? The fan currently only blows on high unless I hit a bump occasionally and then it switches to low. It used to just stay on low until a few days ago and now it's stuck on high.
Would a part like this help solve the problem?

Duralast/Blower Control Switch

Could be maybe yes, maybe no.

Year? That is the same blower motor switch in my 90.

Could be maybe yes, maybe no.

Year? That is the same blower motor switch in my 90.

Sorry I didn't post the year. It's a 96 sport with AC. The link and photo is what I found for my year at the autozone website. My speed selector is stuck at low, I can't move it to the other speeds. I had no problem with it being on low, it heated up fine and it was fine with the AC in the summer. Then I hit a bump one day and now the speed is stuck on high. All of the lever controls work fine.

Do you think replacing the entire unit is better than just replacing the switch? What would be easier? I can get another unit for the same price as the switch, but i was thinking that replacing the switch may be easier than replacing the unit.

Thank you for the advice on my "Multiple Problems" thread. I posted an update.

Just replace the switch. You can test it with a meter to see if it correctly making the different contacts, but they are dirt cheap--$13 at NAPA.

Just replace the switch. You can test it with a meter to see if it correctly making the different contacts, but they are dirt cheap--$13 at NAPA.

Thank you for the lead! That's more than $10 less than Autozone. So basically the installation would be:
1)Unplug negative battery cable
2)Disassemble Bezel
3)Unscrew and pull out "climate control unit"
4)Remove selector
5)remove old switch
6)Replace old switch with new one
7)install slector (that little wheel)
8)Reinstall "climate control unit"
9)Reconnect negative battery cable and test the new parts
10)screw in the unit if it works and re-assemble Bezel
?

Yeah, that is it in a nutshell.