• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steppin out of my norm (color)

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
so i am a huge white jeep freak. i think they look the best no matter what....
well ive just picked up this piece.
604ba51d.jpg

its since lost the lights and been converted to early model cherokee front end.
and im peeling off the "wood". the trim was busted and the sticker is all torn cracked and damaged. problem is there is some white that has never seen sun and other white that has been abused for 20 years...
c6a15cd2.jpg

and its severe enough in person i am not sure i can buff it to look right.
also, ive had, i dunno, 3 or 4 white XJ's, i want some change. so when installing the new header panel (which was grey) i decided to try a paint on it. i first sanded it down real fast (read: i did a shit job) and then did a satin black basecoat and covered it with a metallic blue. which came out like this:
959849b4.jpg

closer
e186e8d6.jpg

i really dig the color. and it went on pretty smooth and clear. my question is, whats the best way to get a good finish out of it?
-wash
-sand
-black basecoat....
then what? sand again before applying the blue? do i sand the blue in between coats?
thanks for any input or advice

disclaimer: i am NOT looking for a top dollar paint job. i know it will still look like rattle can, i just dont want it to look like a 3rd grade art class did it

primer, paint, clear coat...

not sure if they have clear coat in a can. are you planning to rattle can the whole jeep? i wouldnt suggest it, youll be wanting to redo it within 2 years, and have created more work for yourself. maaco will charge you like... $500. give them a call. itll look much better.

ya, prolly wont have the jeep for more than a year to be honest. and if i do the body wont be in worthwhile shape, hence the reason i dont care its rattle can. done a few white rattle can jobs that came out good, but was looking for more tips.

do you still have that header panel with the quad lights? I'll pay for the shipping i've been looking for one for years in good shape!

primer..
sand 220/400 wet
blue. .
sand 400 wet/1000 wet
blue
sand 1000 wet
clear
sand 1000 wet ..then buff

secret to wet sanding i learned this workin at a ferarri/lambo paint shop....

when ur ready to wet sand.. since its blue .. get a metallic silver sharpie

write all over the color in Sss lines with the sharpie.. then wet sand the sharpie off.. then u know u will not go to deep when the sharpie is gone

Back