• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

light metallic clunking sound??

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i have a 2001 xj, 5.5" lift long arms, 33's with 4.56's, D30(ox locker)/c8.25(powertrax). inline 6 with the np231 t-case.

when going around 40mph, and it shifts into 4th, it will start making this rattling clunking sound. you cant feel it, but you can definitely hear it. the noise increases if you step on the gas more, but its still in 4th gear with low rpms. I am assuming its the torque converter maybe? (modified part:if it is the torque converter and i have to replace it, is aftermarket a good option? or is the stock oem one sufficient?)

but i dont have any problems with shifting, acceleration etc. pretty confused. Ive been driving it like this for about a month though and nothing has changed :)
anyone else have these kinds of issues with it? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah the flexplate can crack and sound like hell. I would remove the inspection cover to the tranny, and shine a light in there to look for cracks. Have a friend turn the engine over with a 3/4 wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt in the front.

Let us know what turns up. As a general rule I think the stock TC is fine.

Thanks, I looked through some videos of cherokees with that problem and they all had that sound just sitting at idle, does it make a difference that mine ONLY does it while in 4th gear at low rpms?

alright, i thought of a better way to describe the problem.

Imagine you are driving a stick shift, and you change gears but the speed isn't high enough, rpms are low and your pressing on the gas anyways, you get that slight ticking clunking sound? lol. something like that.

Back