• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem starting

TX_Crash

NAXJA Forum User
My 95 Cherokee(4.0, auto, 4wd) won't start. I drove it about 20 miles, parked it at a park, and went for a bike ride. Came back an hour later, and now my XJ will not start. It will turn over, and sound like it cranks, but it won't actually crank. This happened Friday afternoon, and I had to work this weekend so I haven't had a chance to mess with it till now. The really weird thing is I stopped Saturday evening, just to see if I could get it to crank... And it did. But when I stopped last night and it's doing the same thing as Friday. Anyone have and idea whats going on?

Does it make clicking sound instead of starting ?

It might need a new battery or the connections are dirty.

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage or poor grounds and the ECM/ECU may behave oddly until you remedy this.

Next, go have the battery Load Tested at the auto parts store.

It sound like it cranks but it wont crank? It fires over but doesn't stay running? Sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding what it is doing.

Does it turn over?
If it turns over, does it start?
Does it start then die as soon as you let off on the key?

So, it will crank.

So, it will try and start, but as soon as you let the key back to "ON" from "START" it dies?

I would suspect the ignition switch may be faulty. Hook up a test light so you can observe it power to the ASD relay and fuel pump relay is being cut off when you turn the key back to "ON" from "START". If it is, go for the ignition switch/key cylinder slop.

Back