• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear sway bar.

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
bought a new jeep last night and went up to the mt today with some people.

the jeep ended up getting so flexed out the rear sway bar bent and ended up rubbbing on the inside of the rear drivers side wheel.

we just took it off.

my question is this is it safe to drive without it?
the rear end seemed stiff enough that it didnt lean to much or anything when cornering. and i dont really want to put it back on anyways.

Thanks,
Mitch

My 1994 Sport model came with one that I took off as my first mod. The 1996 Country did not have one fitted when it was manufactured.

You'll be fine. From what I hear the models with tow packages didn't even come with one.

You'll be fine. From what I hear the models with tow packages didn't even come with one.

Not quite - it was the Up-Country models that deleted it.

I took mine out when I did my lift. I haven't notice the slightest bit of a difference in the way it drives. That swaybar is about the thickness of a Bic pen and has WAY to many bends in it to actually make a difference.

All the below is ONLY true with no mods done. With NEW parts and everything set to factory spec. Change ANYTHING and it becomes a case by case thing.
If you run empty in back? It may handle BETTER with out the bar.
The springs, shocks and bars are all setup to work there best at about 1/2 the max load. IN MOST CASES.
Run very heavy and beside bottoming out she rolls like a pige in mud. Toss a few hundred pounds on the roof rack and watch that bar make a differance.
Run empty and the rear is to stiff to let the wheels work there best with the road. Not for offing but not the BEST for road handling.
Some offers do run stiff. But most of them run very fast and/or grab lots of air. Some run totally costom setups that give them the best of both.
But if you are tearing the bars up? You have little chouse but to remove the the bar OR make your own quickys.

Last edited:
Back