• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire chirp at low speeds around corners....

milehigh

NAXJA Forum User
I couldnt find what I was looking for using the search. I have a 00' XJ 4.0 4x4 NP242. Problem is when going around corners at low speeds(parking lot) the tires make a chirping noise. I believe it goes away when I have 4h engaged, been a couple weeks since Ive tried it.

Looking under it today I noticed a few things. First is that the u-joint/cv joint? for the axle on the drivers side appears to be toast. While holding the tire and turning the drive shaft there is alot of play in that joint. Could this cause the tire chirp Im hearing?

Second question is when turning the drive shaft(front) both wheels turn in the same direction. When spining the drivers side tire the drive shaft spins but the passenger tire doesnt spin. Is this normal? Seems odd to me.

I would replace the axle u-joint and see what happens.

what about the second question? What should those scenarios look like? Just trying to identify all problems. Dont wanna have to tear it back apart after I just put it together.

I couldnt find what I was looking for using the search. I have a 00' XJ 4.0 4x4 NP242. Problem is when going around corners at low speeds(parking lot) the tires make a chirping noise. I believe it goes away when I have 4h engaged, been a couple weeks since Ive tried it.

Usually that is caused by hard or bald tires.

I'm confused by your comment about 4h engaged, do you mean the full-time option on your 242? I hope you're not using the part-time 4WD on pavement

All of the forward u-joints can be replaced without dropping the axle. The CV joint can be rebuilt with new parts by pulling out the drive shaft (four bolts on each end), and the axle shafts can be rebuilt by unbolting the hub(s) from the knuckle(s).

yes that is full time. The tires still have about 50% left, BFG A/T's.
I was refering to the u-joint between the spindle and the axle housing, manual calls it the cardan u-joint.

SINGLE CARDAN would be appropriate, but to prevent confusion with the DOUBLE CARDAN setup used in some driveshafts most will refer to the axel u-joint as just that--the axle u-joint. It's barbaric, but best to go with the flow.

thanks for the help, it is a open diff so that makes sense. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt locking when it wasnt suppose to. As that is what the sound sounded like, a traditional truck in 4h. Well thats good that means its not the transfer case and most likely not the diff. Now I just need to find time to change the joint.

One other question, should these be replaced in pairs? I would imagine since the other one still feels good that I shouldnt waste my time replace both correct?

One other question, should these be replaced in pairs? I would imagine since the other one still feels good that I shouldnt waste my time replace both correct?

Ok--a**ume that they are both OEM from the factory. Same miles, same years, same abuse. I would replace both or you will be doing the same job again on another weekend. If you don't want the peace of mind knowing they are both good, don't worry about it.

IF you know for sure that the good one was replaced at some point so that it would be reasonable to expect it to last awhile, then leave it alone.

read you loud and clear, and I adjusted my schedule to make time to repair this and other things ive been neglecting with my jeep. thanks

Repairs on the heep take priority over and above all else. (maybe this is why I have no wife and live in a cardboard box) But the jeep runs great

Finally got around to replacing the axle ujoints and sure enough the tire chirp is gone. I am glad I fixed it when I did, the drivers side was toast. No need bearings left in two of the caps and those caps were starting to come apart. Im suprised I never noticed it before as it never made any clicking or clunking noises, just started bawking around corners. Thanks again for the help guys.

Back