• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off Topic, Anyone here have a half ton Dodge?

Doyle

NAXJA Forum User
Off topic I know, and if this is the wrong place to ask I apologise, I generally only frequent the Northwest chapter and soak up the knowledge.

I have an '07 Dodge 1500 Laramie Hemi, and it has the factory 20's. It has come to my attention from sliding to work in the rain that I need new tires.

I have searched the internet and it seems like everyone has a different answer to my question.

I am looking at putting 305/55/20's on it without a leveling kit, and there are mixed opinions out there as to what will fit and what won't. I am looking for a semi aggressive tread, something good in snow/rain/dry pavement, and really dislike the stock 275/60/20 Goodyear Wranglers that came on the truck, poor tread life, horrible wet weather/snow traction.

Anyone with any experience in this please feel free to comment, and if you have done a leveling kit, what would be the perfect tire size to run? Also how much did the leveling kit cost installed, I know the parts are cheap, just the labor invlolved in doing it.

Thanks

Dont know about size. but when you narrow that down, Look into the new Good-year duratrac and see if they make them in your desired size.. I have heard alot of positive reviews on half-tons and smaller SUV's.. They are definitely on my top 3 list

With a leveling kit the recommended tire size is 33x12.5. With that stated I'd your truck sees mostly hwy use the goodyear duratrac is a great tire, so is the Toyo MT on a light truck as ling as you keep them rotated.

Check out some of the ram forums I'm sure there is a abundance of information. Good luck

I have searched the ram forums, and I have found a wealth of random contradicting information, with a leveling kit some people say they can only fit a 33x12.50, a 265/70/20 (stock on my truck) is a 33x10.8

My thinking is, from looking at the truck, that I can fit about an inch to an inch and a half wider and two inches taller (35x11.50 or 35x12.50) without issues as I have plenty of space heigth wise, my issue width wise is the shock tower in the front with the backspacing on the stock wheel.

I will look into the goodyear duratrac, I am not a fan of the toyo mt, I would prefer the toyo at, I dislike mud tires on a daily driven truck, I commute 50+ miles a day.

Thanks for the ideas, I hate buying tires, I want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck I guess.

sounds goofy but look at the BIG O A/T, they make it in a 20" flavor

cooper makes the tire for them, silica based compound that on average gets 50k miles of life out of them. super siped, quiet and GREAT traction. they also come with free rotates balances flat repairs and if you blow a tire they replace for free.....

the ONLY issue i have with the dodge 1/2 tons is the Independent front suspension.

Other then that.. a half ton Gas.. will do most medium duty jobs!

Independent front suspension does not bother me a lot as its a pavement princess, gravel roads and the dunes are the roughest terrain it will ever see. I just dislike the fact the truck looks like shit with street tires on it and huge wheel wells. And the few times I have had to go onto sand to tow my rail out after I broke it, street tires absolutely suck, even towing onto sand to camp is a rough time.

Anyone have any experience with the Toyo At's? Everyone seems to like the Toyo MT, I do not want a mud terrain tire on a daily driven truck, would prefer a little more street friendly tire. I have gotten great mileage out of the wild country at or atz or whatever its called on a blazer I owned previously.

On a half ton I've heard the Toyo AT is a great tire

Last edited:
Back