• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you using in your diff and R U happy with it?

Four2score

NAXJA Forum User
I'm changing the cover plate on my ChyCo 8.25. Its got a detriot locker and gears. I don't know what the previous owners used and have read pro & cons of using dino or synth, and mixing being a bad thing.

Any suggestions?

140 wt. correct?

Thanks all!

Tech questions will get answered quicker in the tech section, mod tech specifically for this one.

:wave1:

I prefer synthetic for lockers and limited slips for open I use old school dino oil as its less critical for wear on the parts. Honestly I really like the amsoil gear oil and use it in my front axle with a aussie locker. Zero complaints on my end about the mobile 1 gear oils as well but I do have a few issues from the napa and castrol synthetic gear oils we used at work till I convinced them to spend the extra buck.

Two points I have been told, some of those synthetics are not viscous enough to climb the ring gear and properly lubricate the differential.

Leak problem with old seals, new synthetic oil seals are available.

I have only read and been told this, I have no proof.

I find that headlight fluid works great. It's just a little thin for use in a diff, so I thicken it up with a powdered mix of gelatin and ground up ewok bones.

I run Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-110 front and rear. No issues. And changes are less frequent.

Back