• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column interchangeability

1988JeepXj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know FOR SURE what year steering columns are interchangeable between XJs? I read somewhere that 84-86 were, and 87-90 were, and 91-94 were, but no where did I find information on anything in between.

'88 XJ, looking to put a 91-94 tilt column in it, since my original '88 non-tilt column has a very badly worn lower bearing, inop. key-in buzzer, and inop. horn button (due to no column shaft ground).

I know the newer column will physically bolt right in place, I'm interested in knowledge of the connectors and wiring.
I'm okay changing pins on the ignition switch, or changing the connector all together. I think the multifuction switch remained the same (but I could be wrong).

If something changed, what needs to be done to make it work?

You should be able to work it out. You can always cut/solder connectors, or possibly pull them from one connector and put them in the other.

IF you had the FSM wiring section for both the 88 and the donor it would make the job easier, but not impossible to do with a DVOM.

Back