• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To confirm, this is a Chrysler 8.25"?

madmike283

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, newbie here. I've posted in the Colorado Chapter asking advice since I'm shopping for my first XJ. I test drove two today that are already modded with 4.5" lifts and 32s/33s. The one I liked better I can get for less $ which is good. I just wanted to confirm that this rear axle is the 8.25 and not the D35. Based on what I could tell it is. Thanks.

Mike

2010-10-08181047.jpg

Why doesn't anybody ever look at the "rhino" nose on the housing? You can't mistake that nose for anything else than an 8.25".

But the question is...is it a 27 or 29-spline 8.25?

Pre 96 - 27-spline
Post 96 - 29-spline

If it's a 96, you gotta pull a shaft and count to be absolutely sure.

This is an '01 that I think I'm going to buy tomorrow. Sounds a bit ignorant, but I'll probably buy it and I'll have to post pics/ask questions just to figure out what it's got on it, etc. It's real clean with TB, CAI, Hypertech, Exhaust, 4.5" lift (not sure which mfg) with coils, leafs, 1" block, stock control arms, adjustable trackbar, disconnects, 32s.

above the pinion of the 8.25 are some big tabs pointing up that look like rhino horns in a way.

IMG_0002-9-1.jpg

Last edited:
Avoid an XJ with 4.5" lift and stock control arms. For that much lift you want long arms. The ride will be terrible, plus the wear on the unibody (every time a tire hits a bump, the wheel gets forced forward into it, increasing the shock to the uniframe).

Back