• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picture Request: Muffler with turndown afterwards

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking for pics of a Cherokee with just a turndown after the muffler. Im looking to do this to my Jeep. I found 1 really clear pic of this on NAXJA, but it didn't really show the mount for the rear of the muffler, which is one of the things im concerned about/haven't figured out yet. :)

No pic., but I just used the factory mount in front of the rear axle. I cut it off the tail pipe & welded it to the turn down. JIM.

why no tailpipe? having a turndown sounds like shit and can let fumes inside the cab, a tailpipe is $30 from autozone

why no tailpipe? having a turndown sounds like shit and can let fumes inside the cab, a tailpipe is $30 from autozone

I can't tell any difference in sound between mine & one with a tail pipe, outside the jeep. Inside it maybe a little louder. I've been running a turn down since Oct. of 03 & the only time I've had fumes in the cab is if I am parked with the hatch open. JIM.

i run a turndown, right after a glasspack. haters be hatin. just do it AFTER the rear hanger...

problems:
1-fumes (didnt start till i cut holes in the floor.)
2-exhaust dumps onto rear shock reservoirs.(no longer a problem sinse i moved the shocks inside).

BUT im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on the noise aspect, as 4 out of 5 of the jeeps in the family run loud exhausts.... no question there. the 5th, has a stock exhaust. 2 weeks ago we cut the exhaust off right after the rear exhaust hanger. NO TAILPIPE.

... no change in sound, at all.

I had a tailpipe on it, and decided to switch. I have a performance muffler now, and have been running it for a short while with no turn down. (I know, I know) its not good for the rear axle, etc. The Jeep is outta commision currently getting the engine pulled, but I wanted to get my ducks in a row for the engine going back in. The sound doesn't bother me at all, just my personal preference.

If you get on a dusty trail it can be miserable, the turn down under the car blows dust, and on a real dusty trail blows a lot of dust. Not running the exhaust out the back blows. I've seen folks outside cuss someone with with a turn down just past the muffler as the rig goes through a dusty obstacle with people around.

If you get on a dusty trail it can be miserable, the turn down under the car blows dust, and on a real dusty trail blows a lot of dust. Not running the exhaust out the back blows. I've seen folks outside cuss someone with with a turn down just past the muffler as the rig goes through a dusty obstacle with people around.

x2 My brother's VW Thing exhaust is aimed at the ground. He has to run at the back of the line.

...Not running the exhaust out the back blows. I've seen folks outside cuss someone with with a turn down just past the muffler as the rig goes through a dusty obstacle with people around.

Not running a turn down blows.

You've seen people cuss someone out as they "go through a dusty obstacle" and kick dust around? What do you think the tires are doing? Floating by all that dust? I think the exhaust has nothing to do with it. Turn down FTW.

i only run my exhaust dumping out after the muffler because i can't keep a tailpipe on my rig for more than a wheeling run or 2.

its louder than it needs to be, and i hate it.

You've seen people cuss someone out as they "go through a dusty obstacle" and kick dust around? What do you think the tires are doing? Floating by all that dust? I think the exhaust has nothing to do with it. Turn down FTW.

how does it blow to not run a turn down?

ever think that when a rig isnt moving yet the engine is running, like when a spotter is helping a rig through, that a turn down in a dusty area kicks up dust? or when youre only moving say 2 MPH and there may be bystanders. especially out west where its a bit more dusty

The exhaust has everything to do with it. Yes, the tires will kick up dust but the air moving rapidly out of the turn down will move a lot of dust as well. It's not a problem here in the wetter midwest, but I can see it being a problem out west.

For clarification, this Jeep is a DD for me. I cannot remember the last time I was on a trail. It sees the street and pulls trailers.

how does it blow to not run a turn down?

ever think that when a rig isnt moving yet the engine is running, like when a spotter is helping a rig through, that a turn down in a dusty area kicks up dust? or when youre only moving say 2 MPH and there may be bystanders. especially out west where its a bit more dusty
It blows not to run a turn down because the tailpipe always gets in the way. When a rig isn't moving but a spotter is helping a rig through. Hmm can't ever think of that scenario.

The exhaust has everything to do with it. Yes, the tires will kick up dust but the air moving rapidly out of the turn down will move a lot of dust as well. It's not a problem here in the wetter midwest, but I can see it being a problem out west.

Well then we disagree. Come to my local park and tell me tires aren't the culprit. I'd be hard pressed to even point out someone's exhaust with the dust from the tires.

I'd say this is a valid picture request. He is requesting a picture so he knows what would be the best way to mount a turndown after his muffler. Not just wondering how cool it would look.

40325_952764460278_5719488_51428717_1896775_n.jpg

This is my exhaust with a turndown welded onto the end. I just barely goes past the axle and the turndown is angled about halfway between down and sideways towards the tire. It's a tad loud, but very low profile so I'm hoping it won't get so banged up offroad. Already have some dents in the muffler from my first trip after I installed it.

I've just got a muffler welded on... No turndown, no nothing other than the back of the exhaust. No doors. Exhaust in the cab isn't a problem and it doesn't kick up any dust...

It is loud driving down the road. Horrible cab noise so if you drive it on the road I'd keep a tailpipe on it. That's just me.

but I'll let you know when I die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Back