• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Black grill is turning white?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I have a white '99 XJ with a white and black grill on the front. It would appear that the black paint on my grill is wearing away to expose white paint underneath. While this is not a big deal, and while I plan to have the grill off the Jeep while I work on other things, I figure it might as well be a fine time to paint them black again to give a cleaner look. Here is what I am talking about (I am a visual person):
DSCN0143.jpg

My question is, would a flat black paint look better than a glossy black paint on that part of the XJ? I use flat black on all the metal, but am not sure how it will turn out on the plastic grill. I'm trying to get it to look like it did from the factory. Any insight would be appreciated.

IMO flat would look better. If you use a gloss, it will look like it has been painted. It won't look factory.

x2 on the flat black. I really dont think the gloss would look very good. A semi gloss would look neat also.

Great. You guys confirmed my original thought. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Easy solution, remove grille and hit it with some krylon fusion paint. Supposed to not have to prime or sand. I would clean it tho.

Easy solution, remove grille and hit it with some krylon fusion paint. Supposed to not have to prime or sand. I would clean it tho.

That is how I would go with it.

Agree with Samson. Back when I was 16 I painted one of these grills glossy and it looked like crap. I repainted with Satin and it looked factory.

Back