• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump going?

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
I'll try to give a little history. Fuel sender never worked since I got the xj. Which is a 1991 sport 4.0 4x4 aw4 np232 d3/8.25. The fuel pump always had a steady loud whine. Unless fuel was low which let me know to get more. Last weekend I replaced the leaky steel tank with a new one. I had to replace a couple of fuel injection hoses since they sprung a leak. Last weekend I took it 5 hours away. I had a problem where I couldn't really go past 2500 rpms without her losing a lot of power. And got to the point where I was doing 40 trying to get up the mountainous highways. I stopped and replaced the fuel filter which afterward I was able to floor it and she was doing good. But then started acting up again. I checked the filter again and the new one was clean. I found that topping off the tank seemed to help the situation a lot.

Also my fuel pump doesn't whine anymore and sounds nasty when it first primes.

So I cant really put any power to her anymore. Suggestions?

I found out after a few new fuel pumps on the 91 I used to have that I was getting the wrong one and it seems to be a common mistake. I'm not sure of the pressure it needs to be, but I do know that it has to be the high output one or you will always have problems and will eventually fail.

The filter wasn't terrible. And the sock on the fuel pump was not dirty. I will most likely just replace the fuel pump. Making sure its the h.o one.

If your getting strange noises out of the fuel pump I would agree to check fuel pressure, possibly under load, to see if the fuel pump is keeping up with demand.

How can I go about this?

Longer hose, duct tape it to the windshield--seriously.

Did you replace the rubber fuel hose between the top of the fuel pump and the tank flange--when those go bad and the fuel level in the tank is down a bit you will lose volume/pressure.

Bosch 69302 is my preferred pump.

I did replace that hose that goes into the fuel filter. It's actually 2 hoses connected with that metal connector for hoses. I was curious if this was blocking fuel flow.

Auto zone is getting this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...tring=search&itemIdentifier=21851_44727_8888_
tomorrow for me. I may just go to napa and get that pump. Problem is it doesn't come with a sender. Mine is bad.

Those from the pump to the filter sprung a hole. I replaced it.

Yeah, not sure if it is Airtex or Carter that I dislike most, but they are both in the top two of my least favorites.

I guess if pushed I would take a Carter over the Airtex.

Good luck.

Yeah, and the Bosch "fuel pump assembly" with the sender unit is CRAZY expensive--it would be cheaper to buy the Airtex "fuel pump assembly" and a Bosch pump, chuck the Airtex pump and replace it with the Bosch.

Stupid pricing on that at rockauto.com

I've got a pressure tester you can borrow if you can't find one local.
Make sure you get lifetime warranty.
My new autozone pump lasted a month.
Make sure the screen fit's tightly on the pump intake.
If it falls off during installation, you won't know it.
The inline filter is after the fuel pump ( between pump and fuel rail) and most likely is not your problem

My bad one put out 20psi max and showed the same symptoms as you describe.

Here reads my issues...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983318&page=2

Thanks for the info. When I floor her she just just doesn't have the power. The needle with climb up but like I said no power. Returning a cartex pump (pump alone) and picking up the autozone crap then going to napa for the bosch to transplant. Reading up on your thread.

Well it seems she is worse with lower fuel. On the trail she will randomly stutter (just once) and drop rpms for a quick second. If I let go of the gas and idle while on the trail she will stutter right down to 0 randomly causing me to re crank the engine again. On the road she does not do this. She wont go above 2500 rpms. I have a crimp in my steel fuel line from the fuel filter forward that I will post a picture of.

Back