• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Royal purple vs standard

pakkman

NAXJA Forum User
Is royal purple worth using and if so would you use it everywhere or just certain places like the oil, power steering etc. Does anyone have any experience with it? Thanks.

if you want the best results power/mpg. use it everywhere.
i'm in the process of doing my whole jeep.
i've done transfer case and diffs so far.

You judge for yourself

This is 190,xxx miles and without even wiping the pan this is immediately after I pulled the pan down. NO SLUDGE AT ALL! With that many miles and standard oil even with strict 3,000 mile change intervals there would still be some sludge but not here!
IMG_0389.jpg

Been using Royal Purple in the engine for 6 years and 70,000 miles and before that I was using a synthetic blend since I bought the Jeep 8 years ago with 75,000 miles on it. I was impressed with how I actually saw some engine improvement (I know crazy how could oil make that much of a difference and tell me it was in my head thats ok I know what I felt and all can disagree if they would like) that I now have it in both axles and the transfercase. I would put the Royal purple ATF in as well as other products but that would be a lot of money that I dont have at the moment but I would be interested to see how it did with the RP ATF. I did not notice much of a difference after putting it in the axles and t-case.

i noticed an improvement in the seat of the pants dyno right away when i switched to royal purple. I ran it for 4 years and my oilpan looked just like that one posted above when i changed my pan because of a ripping off the oil drain plug on a rock. I have since switched back to castrol syntec blend, and I again immediately noticed a performance hit. I couldn't afford to keep doing RP oil changes though :(

You judge for yourself

This is 190,xxx miles and without even wiping the pan this is immediately after I pulled the pan down. NO SLUDGE AT ALL! With that many miles and standard oil even with strict 3,000 mile change intervals there would still be some sludge but not here!
IMG_0389.jpg

Been using Royal Purple in the engine for 6 years and 70,000 miles and before that I was using a synthetic blend since I bought the Jeep 8 years ago with 75,000 miles on it. I was impressed with how I actually saw some engine improvement (I know crazy how could oil make that much of a difference and tell me it was in my head thats ok I know what I felt and all can disagree if they would like) that I now have it in both axles and the transfercase. I would put the Royal purple ATF in as well as other products but that would be a lot of money that I dont have at the moment but I would be interested to see how it did with the RP ATF. I did not notice much of a difference after putting it in the axles and t-case.

Curious why you pulled the pan ?

On another forum I go to (toyota supra) the local know-it-all's there who basically have no budget for their cars say they don't use royal purple. They say there is nothing wrong with it just there is better choices for far less money.

You should also check out the forums over Here. You will never get a 100% agreement one way or the other of course as it's like anything else. People will either cheerlead it like they own stock in the company or hate it like it's their mission in life.

I say, if I can get equal or better results with other products, I'll save the money especially with the old tractor motor in the jeep.

You judge for yourself

IMG_0389.jpg

odd my 205k motor from my 93 xj with reg valvoline 10w30 looks the same also my 95 motor with 194k looks the same and it didnt get reg oil changes

Amsoil AMO (10w-40 w/ added zddp) here. Best thing I ever did for this engine. 7500+ mile intervals with a good filter (Napa gold/Wix, baldwin/hastings).

AMSOIL or Royal Purple are both excellent products. its just expensive as hell. I know Amsoil has a diesel oil/filtration system that will last up to 30k or a year in a truck without being changed. It filters down to 1 micron or something crazy like that. Just make sure you get a good filter when you do it also

where do you purchase amsoil?
Well, for 20$/year you can become a prefered customer, and get the same cost as dealers. You can call or order online. I forget who it was, but there was a member here that I ordered through when I couldnt afford to renew my dealer membership. As or filter I recommend Napa Gold/Wix (Gold is usually cheaper), Baldwin/Hastings (same company makes both), Donaldson/Amsoil filters (a little extra money)
I believe hodrodoil.com is the site or the member on here.
If you want/need to buy local instore full syn. Pennzoil Platinum is the way to go. I dislike the conventional pennzoil but they have done well with their full syn. Vatozone usually has their oil change special on this.

I run mobil-1 in all 4 of our jeeps, 10w30 'High Mileage', when it goes on sale at walmart for $22 or $24 a 5 quart jug I grab 8. The 4.0 takes 6 and the 2.5's take 4, two jugs do the grand and one TJ, two others do the XJ and the other TJ. In fact now my wife finds it, she makes a pass though the auto section at the super walmart and checks prices and picks it up, now if she would only stop a napa.....
I did switch to NAPA golds too, heck of a lot cheaper than the Mobil01 or K&N's I've used. The NAPA golds keep the oil clean enough that now I do a filter change and add a quart at 4,000mi then a full change at 8,000mi.

Back