• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 cherokee TCU swap

Unfortunately you do need one from a 97, and a 97 only. 98 and later have another sensor and change the output speed sensor design, and 96 and older don't have the same wiring harness connector and probably won't get along well with the 97+ ECU.

Why are you swapping the TCU? They very rarely go bad.

with the tcu unpluged I have 1st in 1-2 3rd in 3rd 4th in drive. with it in it shifts 1st to 3rd at high rpm and somtimes does not downshift.

so far this is what I have done

trans flush new filter gasket and soliniods
rebuilt saftey switch/adjusted
adjusted the thortlle cable
tps sensor is ok no code. Is it adjustable?

My buddies 98 shifts 1-3 at high rpm with it plugged and and with it unplugged it stays in 1st in 1/2, goes to 3rd in 3 and does not shift to 4th in drive. But the TC does lockup. Goodluck!

i ran a 97 tcu in my 98 for about a year and had zero issues. i was operating under the impression that the 98+ have different sensor arrangements than a 97. i didnt feel the swap would work because of the sensor arrangement, but low and behold about a year went by with zero issues.

that just doesn't make sense at all, maybe your 98 was a 97 sold as a 98 or vice versa? If you still have it, can you check the front of the bellhousing on the driver side right under the shift cable bracket for a sensor? If there is a sensor there and your ECU is marked 98 or 98M on the label I'll be shocked that it worked and didn't throw a CEL.

Back