• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake issues and steering while in 4wd

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So after getting all the 1998 d30 stuff swapped over I had to put on the 1998 brake calipers. After installing new brakes I bled the lines refilled the fluid and tested....... no brakes. Re-bled, tested..... no brakes. I'm completely lost on this.
Also in my old 89 d30 I had the same gears and locker as I do now. When I put in 4wd and try to turn it binded up. Well it is still doing it. I think that it might be the locker but I don't understand how the locker being back would cause the steering to bind up? I am at a loss when it comes to this? Please help.....

moved to tech forum please don't post tech in the chapter forum.

Did you bleed the back? There have been a few times when I have removed the front calipers or brake lines, and ended up bleeding all for because of the air in the lines. Just depends on where it ends up. I would bleed them all, start with the passenger rear, then do driver rear, then passenger, then driver.

When your steering is bound up in 4 wheel drive, is your front locked? Does it stay Locked? If that locker has an issue, you wouldn't have known it before with the vacuum disconnect.

Did you plug the vaccum lines from the disconnet?

Are you sure its not the R&P binding up when you put torque on them, when in 4wheel drive?

Pull the rear DS and put the front on jack stands, then try to put it in 4wd and see what happens. Also what did you use for outer knuckles and rotors?

Last edited:
Look at the calipers--are the bleeders pointing UP? If not, you will never get the air out of the system.

Did you bleed the back? There have been a few times when I have removed the front calipers or brake lines, and ended up bleeding all for because of the air in the lines. Just depends on where it ends up. I would bleed them all, start with the passenger rear, then do driver rear, then passenger, then driver.

When your steering is bound up in 4 wheel drive, is your front locked? Does it stay Locked? If that locker has an issue, you wouldn't have known it before with the vacuum disconnect.

Did you plug the vaccum lines from the disconnet?

Are you sure its not the R&P binding up when you put torque on them, when in 4wheel drive?

I'll try bleeding the back when I get home from work. It would bind up with the old front end too. I forgot to plug the vacuum lines.

I've got brand new 1998 xj calipers the bleeder valves are on the side and sit horizontaly.

Make sure they are on the top of the Caliper. I believe that what he means. If they are on the bottom of the caliper, as when the driver and passenger get mixed up. Air, will sit in the caliper and you will never get it out.

Back