• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

iPhone/iPod integration options

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I've searched high and low (including limiting Google to NAXJA) and seem to be finding myself with extremely limited options... I'm looking for a power and audio cable solution for iPod/iPhone integration into the XJ, but have only found this option thus far:

http://blitzsafe.com/catalog/universal/iui-universal-iphone-interface/prod_32.html

Now, this is a damned nice option - simply power (with a charge delay - will charge 20 minutes after ignition shut-off and then power off completely) and RCA audio out, perfect for a head unit with rear aux-in jacks. This is my personally preferred system because 99.9999% of car stereo iPhone/iPod integration implementations are horrendous at best.

Now my issue is this - mount options are limited, and I'd like a cradle that can integrate this cable:

ProClip/Brodit mount w/ integrated cable (long-ass URL)

This seems like a pretty good solution all in all, however, I can't help but think there are other options out there I'm overlooking. My biggest concern is the proprietary connector that comes with the BlitzSafe unit won't fit in the base of that cradle. Right now I'm waiting for BlitzSafe's offices to open in order to obtain the dimensions of the connector.

Has anyone else found themselves going through the same level of obsession over this that I am? If so, I'd love to hear your input/thoughts. I know one member integrated a traditional iPod dock into the shift bezel on his 97+ (fiberglass and all), but that's a bit beyond what I'm looking for here.

Thanks in advance guys!

do you really need a dock? and why do you want to keep the (crappy) stock head unit?alpine offers relatively cheap single DIN head units that offer a full GUI that replicates the ipod's GUI.

also, alpine and many others offer phone connectivity. just get in the jeep, plug the ipod into the connector (say, inside the glove box) and drive away.

i'd give crutchfield and call and see what they recommend.

Agreed, ditch the stock head unit. I'm running a JVC that had an ipod cable you could buy and plug into the CD changer port. I have it running out of the ash tray in the center console.

My bad for not clarifying - stock head unit is long gone. Currently using a JVC with a front aux input, but I'm sick of cable/wire clutter and am replacing it with an Alpine CDA-105 for rear aux.

Again, the big issue here is that iPod/iPhone-integrated head units are clunky and miserable - I have yet to find one whose interface even borders on usable when managing the media player's library (be it iPod or iPhone). They're almost always slow and a general pain in the ass to navigate with large libraries.

Also, I use the Pandora app on the iPhone almost constantly, which does not integrate with iPhone-compatible head units (at least what I've seen thus far). I'd really like to leave music controls to the iPod/iPhone and simply use the aux input on the amp (and charge the phone while connected).

I'll take a quick peek at JVC's options and see if anything looks suitable for my current head unit.

*EDIT* No dice for the current JVC. Mine does not have a CD changer controller, and prevents me from using their adapter cable options (mine is the KD-R210, or an earlier model of the same niche purchased a little over a year ago through Best Buy).

Last edited:
Good news... Looks like the ProClip cradle will handle connectors that are basically the same size as the non-locking Apple iPod/iPhone cables (the bigger ones that came before the current slim ones). BlitzSafe will soon be releasing another revision of their cable that will be basically a direct clone of the Apple style. If I buy their current one, they have offered to ship me the new cable when it is available free of charge.

In the mean time, this extension cable appears to be the closest match as an interim solution:

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_8&products_id=402

Now, to determine when exactly the new cable is coming out...

r aux.

Again, the big issue here is that iPod/iPhone-integrated head units are clunky and miserable - I have yet to find one whose interface even borders on usable when managing the media player's library (be it iPod or iPhone). They're almost always slow and a general pain in the ass to navigate with large libraries.

Also, I use the Pandora app on the iPhone almost constantly, which does not integrate with iPhone-compatible head units (at least what I've seen thus far). I'd really like to leave music controls to the iPod/iPhone and simply use the aux input on the amp (and charge the phone while connected).

Bam, problem solved!

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x305s

If you're buying a head unit anyway, buy one that suits your needs.

If you can solder, or know someone who can (we're not talking large wiring here, detail work necessary) bring it to them and have them simply move the wiring for the aux in port on your original head unit to the back. It's generally not all that complicated, finding a good route for the cable is the most difficult part.

Bam, problem solved!

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x305s

If you're buying a head unit anyway, buy one that suits your needs.

Ha! I knew this was coming :) . Again, I've never been a fan of integrated interfaces - this is definitely an appealing option in that world, however, that head unit is a bit flashy for my taste (theft appeal) and doesn't have a CD player (my girlfriend still loves to torture me with old mix CDs she's found). Also, in the realm of product longevity, I'd really hate to be stuck with a head unit so tightly wound around the iPhone and Pandora specifically (who knows how long they'll be the proverbial "bee's knees" of the industry). A more generic head unit will see use in many vehicles in my hands, provided it doesn't die.

If you can solder, or know someone who can (we're not talking large wiring here, detail work necessary) bring it to them and have them simply move the wiring for the aux in port on your original head unit to the back. It's generally not all that complicated, finding a good route for the cable is the most difficult part.
Definitely a reasonable suggestion - I could probably even do this myself (not terrible at soldering and have a decently steady hand), but I'm pretty sold on replacing the JVC unit with an Alpine in order to eventually add Bluetooth support (via the 400BT module). Thanks for the tip though :)

I have a JVC KD-BT1, I am able to connect through Bluetooth and play my iPhone music, and use the phone with this head unit. I have a mic mounted above the driver door for phone calls... It's an older unit but works great.

i have an alpine deck that supports the ipod.

its an older unit but has constant charging (when the ignition is on) and the sound quality is MUCH better a FM transmitter or tape converter thingy. i dont worry about a cradle, as i leave my touch locked in my glove box and use the ipod interface on the deck. pretty sweet. the ipod only comes out when its time to update the library.

Some head units will now let you use your iPod itself to control it, rather than the head unit controls. I have this particular unit:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-X994

And it's great, several color schemes, lots of options for staging and crossovers, Bluetooth built-in, and USB/iPod connection. I have a permanent iPod in my XJ that I keep constantly hooked up to the radio, but this radio has the option to control your iPod from the iPod itself and Bluetooth audio. I've used my Droid with Pandora a few times over Bluetooth, the sound quality isn't all that great but it does work.

Thanks for all the input guys... I definitely have a few options here.

Some head units will now let you use your iPod itself to control it, rather than the head unit controls. I have this particular unit:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-X994

And it's great, several color schemes, lots of options for staging and crossovers, Bluetooth built-in, and USB/iPod connection. I have a permanent iPod in my XJ that I keep constantly hooked up to the radio, but this radio has the option to control your iPod from the iPod itself and Bluetooth audio. I've used my Droid with Pandora a few times over Bluetooth, the sound quality isn't all that great but it does work.

This is damn near ideal. I was unaware that any manufacturers had gotten over themselves and decided to give users the option of using the iPod/iPhone controls themselves. I like everything this unit includes, so I might ultimately go this route... More research lies ahead.

If I'm not mistaken on Crutchfield.com there's an option to show head units that have the iPod control option, so you can narrow down your choices.

This is damn near ideal. I was unaware that any manufacturers had gotten over themselves and decided to give users the option of using the iPod/iPhone controls themselves. I like everything this unit includes, so I might ultimately go this route... More research lies ahead.

i just bought the model one step lower... got it for $160 shipped from amazon so i couldnt say no. this one:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-X794

fwiw, almost every (if not every) sony ipod deck allows the user to choose head unit control or ipod control. my CDX-GT640UI that i ran in my subie did, and it's glows green (or blue if you want) to match the jeep interior.

If I'm not mistaken on Crutchfield.com there's an option to show head units that have the iPod control option, so you can narrow down your choices.
Thanks man - unfortunately some manufacturers don't make it a point to advertise that you can bypass their shoddy controls in favor of using the player's interface, but definitely a useful resource.

i just bought the model one step lower... got it for $160 shipped from amazon so i couldnt say no. this one:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-X794

fwiw, almost every (if not every) sony ipod deck allows the user to choose head unit control or ipod control. my CDX-GT640UI that i ran in my subie did, and it's glows green (or blue if you want) to match the jeep interior.
Looks like the same receiver as the X994 minus integrated Bluetooth support. Since I want Bluetooth support anyway, the X994 may be a good choice to avoid Alpine's nickel-and-diming for features/accessories.

The last Sony deck I had was a CDX-MP70... I miss that thing and may need to go back and give their current line-up another look.

*EDIT*
I've let myself get carried away in my obsession... Somehow I've moved on to looking at Nakamichi head units and MB Quart amplifiers. I really need to stop this. Now.

Last edited:
Yeah I know how that goes. Earlier this year I just wanted to replace a head unit...then came the front components, the rears, a new sub, two new amps....

As for the X994, I've got nothing but good things to say. It comes with a super long USB cable that you can plug a thumbdrive or any mp3 player into, and you use your iPod's usb cable to connect your iPod. Nice that you don't have to buy some proprietary cable *cough*Alpine*cough*. If you want some pics of mine and how I have my iPod set up let me know.

SyCo - I'd love that, feel free to share (PM me if you want an e-mail address to send pics to).

Fortunately, I finally found a cradle that will work:

http://www.diceelectronics.com/g2-cradle.html

I'll likely spend a few extra dollars and get the DCR-300 (as it will convert 12v input to 5v), but at the very least it eliminates my cable concerns. That in conjunction with the Kenwood X994 would likely be perfect.

As a quick aside, how's the sound quality on the Kenwood's integrated amplifier? Or are you even using the built-in amp? I know it has a 24-bit DAC but that doesn't say a whole lot on its own.

Back