• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre built "Boatside"

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at a For sale thread kinda reminded me of a project I have to deal with at some point. The rockers on my 98' 2dr are rotting out and will need to be replaced.

I can either buy the cheater panels, cut out the old ones and weld the new ones on, then add sliders.

OR...

Does anyone make a slider that can be mounted in as a replacement rocker?

Why prebuilt? 'Cause I'm getting lazy in my old age ;)

Never seen anything pre-built. But I read a writeup a long time ago where a guy cut the rockers off along with the flat part of the door sills and replace them with 1/4" wall, 3.5" or 4" square tube. Finished product looked pretty good. It's not pre-built, but it's no more work then replacement rocker skins.

It's not a great pic, but its the best I have right now. I cut out the old rocker and replaced with the 1/4" square tube. It really was no more difficult than replacing the rockers and you gain the clearance of not having the sliders hang down another 2".

DSCN2886.jpg

I saw the write up on MADXJ years back, and was wondering about the kit aspect.

Good link on the product. Looks like all the materials are there, though will 1/8" be enough for your average off-road application? Hmmm, it's an idea though.

Good info guys, I appreciate it.

John, Nice Jeep! Interesting use of OEM Wrangler mirrors and mounts :)

I made a set of sliders out of 0.120 wall 2x3. I thought 0.120 was sufficient for light wheeling. Bent one the first trip out an damaged the rocker above it. I'm re-doing them in 0.250 wall.

I replaced mine with 3/16 2x6 with no kit. I do remember seeing a kit by a banditt or beaver offroad, something like that.

I saw the write up on MADXJ years back, and was wondering about the kit aspect.

Good link on the product. Looks like all the materials are there, though will 1/8" be enough for your average off-road application? Hmmm, it's an idea though.

Good info guys, I appreciate it.

John, Nice Jeep! Interesting use of OEM Wrangler mirrors and mounts :)

Thanks! The mirrors aren't great but they are legal. And they easily remove for winter when the doors go back on.

It really isn't that difficult. Post up in the Midwest Chapter section and I bet you can find another member that you could pay to do it. I would think $300 or so material and labor would be a fair price to pay a guy to do it in his garage. You will need to do a little filler/paint work when its done though.

Thanks! The mirrors aren't great but they are legal. And they easily remove for winter when the doors go back on.

It really isn't that difficult. Post up in the Midwest Chapter section and I bet you can find another member that you could pay to do it. I would think $300 or so material and labor would be a fair price to pay a guy to do it in his garage. You will need to do a little filler/paint work when its done though.
I like that. I delayed putting my sliders on and smacked my rockers pretty good the next trip out. I was contemplating something like this.

Back