• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator wiring.

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
91 cherokee sport.

PO had an old old alternator hooked up that had no connection to the computer had a lead to the battery and the other lead went to the fuse block i think. where ever the stock one goes.

anyway building brackets out of angle iron was probably a bad decision on the PO's part. i didnt notice it when i bought it. the brackets broke. school had a 94 sport with a lost title they were trying to get rid of so i got a good alternator and brackets off of it.

hooked it up and hooked it up to the plug to the computer that makes the alternator charge. but it is not charging the battery.

is there anyway to bypass the igniton/computer connection so it charges.

i paid a shop to wire it for me with no luck.. and they burnt up another alternator i got for it.. shop says it was wired correctly but 2 working alternators disagree.

the alternator in it is just the stock remy delco from the 94 sport.

any help would be great
thanks,
Mitch

is there anyway to bypass the igniton/computer connection so it charges.

Yes, install an alternator with an internal regulator. That appears to be what the previous owner did. A good shop should have been able to verify if the field coil on the replacement alternators was getting voltage, which is whats needed to charge. If its not, then its either a wiring issue or the engine computer is bad.

Yes, install an alternator with an internal regulator. That appears to be what the previous owner did. A good shop should have been able to verify if the field coil on the replacement alternators was getting voltage, which is whats needed to charge. If its not, then its either a wiring issue or the engine computer is bad.

Agree.

BTW--stock OEM alternators 91+ are NIPPON DENSO, and are regulated by the PCM.

The Delco-Remy internally regulated alternators ended with the Renix. If that 94 had a Delco-Remy it was screwed up too.

You can wire up an external regulator to the Nippon Denso, and it may or may not give you a constant CEL with OBDI.

You could install a single-wire internally regulated Delco-Remy, might have to modify the bracket to get it mounted.

Good luck.

sounds like the original voltage regulator in the pcm is toast, which is why a delco unit is on there.

i agree with others! you are probably going to have to use a alternator with a voltage regulator in it, next you will have to get the field coil wire working from the harness. or like joe mentioned, get a one wire alternator and be done with it! mike

did the xj's ever run a single wire alternator that is not regulated by the computer or anything?

i would like to get something that is just bolt on and doesnt need any wiring done or hacking of the brackets because the PO hacked up the brackets and the alt barly fit so it was to big and broke the bracket.

i have a delco remy already but it has the connections for the ground and the field.

What single wire alternator would be best to fix my problem?

im trying to understand this regulator thing and whether or not i can bypass it.

Not stock, no.

Powermaster one-wire alternators: http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/faq-alternators.html

so i may just take this path and get another single wire alternator. because the one i had broke the mounting brackets on the alternator when everything else broke so i cant just bolt it back in. and i dont think welding aluminum tabs back on to an alternator is a very good idea?

what cars at the junkyard could i get one out of?

if the regulator in my 91 is broken can a computer swap fix that?

so i may just take this path and get another single wire alternator. because the one i had broke the mounting brackets on the alternator when everything else broke so i cant just bolt it back in. and i dont think welding aluminum tabs back on to an alternator is a very good idea?

what cars at the junkyard could i get one out of? I'm not aware of any that have factory one wire alternators

if the regulator in my 91 is broken can a computer swap fix that? If the regulator in your PCM is the only problem, yes a new PCM should fix it

Single wire alternators suck. They are the worst at controlling the overall voltage of your system.

I'd either go with an externally regulated Chrysler unit with a voltage regulator from a 70's-80's Dodge truck (which is basically a bolt-in deal) or figure a way to mount up a CS-130D.

In the race car we've got a 180amp externally regulated Chrysler unit from Powermaster and it fits into the stock mounts. With the external regulator it does a great job and we put amazing loads onto it sometimes. I calculated somewhere between 120-130 amps when everything is on.

Back