• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with gearing decision!

turkeyassassin

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I know there is already quite a few out there on this subject but there all over the place with answers so here it goes and oh yeah I'm a new guy here. I have a 97 XJ with a stock 4.0 with a manual tranny 5 inch lift and 32 inch BFG KM2's on some black steel Rock Crawlers. What I need to know is if what gears are gonna treat me better 4.11's or 4.56's. Any opinions or facts are appreciatted and this is my daily driver that sees the trails about twice a month and a lot more then that during hunting seasons. Thanks.:dunno:

A few as in 10K+,do you like "blue" or "red",its all subjective.Are you going to stick to the 32's?

32's for probaly about a year or so there brand new so at least till there shot then I'm sure I'll want to go to 33's just like most. Yeah I guess a few is quite the understatement. It just seems like my freeway rpm's would be pretty high at 65mph with 4.56's according to the charts, but how accurate are those charts anyhow and would this cause to much strain on my rig in any way?

Last edited:
32's for probaly about a year or so there brand new so at least till there shot then I'm sure I'll want to go to 33's just like most. Yeah I guess a few is quite the understatement. It just seems like my freeway rpm's would be pretty high at 65mph with 4.56's according to the charts, but how accurate are those charts anyhow and would this cause to much strain on my rig in any way?

4.56 since you will be going to 33s at some point.

The calculator at Randy's Ring & Pinion shows for 60 MPH:
4.56 and 32s at 2011 RPM and 33s at 1950 RPM.
4.10s and 32s at 1753 RPM and 33s at 1808 RPM.

I ran 33s and 4.56 for several years and lots of highway miles. I think you would struggle with the 4.10s even with the 32s.

I run 32's with 4.56 and a 5 spd as my DD. I don't percieve any strain at that gearing and runs just fine. It provides a great combo for DD use and low end grunt when off roading. I've never regretted that set up....

I run 32's, and 4.56's, with an auto.

Being able to haul ass up hill at 45 mph in 4th gear is awesome.

I used to have to downshift at every hill.

Mine spins at 2450 rpm at 65. It should be perfect with 33's.

Thanks John D that's better then the other calculaters I've seen and thanks all thats the kind of info I'm lookin for personal experience. 4.56's sound like the way to go anyone in my neck of the woods know a good person for the install?

You can swap axles, find an 8.8 and a D30 in a salvage yard with 4:10s in them already, and a swap kit, for under $400. Maybe even $300 if you're lucky.

Regearing your current axles to 4.56 is going to cost $400 just for the parts, you wont get a better rear axle out of the deal. If you don't know how to gear its going to cost you $400 per axles or so... AND you'll have to teart he axle off anyway.

All that made up my mind for me. Axle swap it was, and I like my 4.10's just fine.

People with any gears typically seem to wish they went lower. Go with 4.56. Your gas mileage will be a little lower on the highway, and a little higher in stop-n-go than 4.11's, but awesome mileage is rarely a concern with lifted rigs !!!1

Don't worry about the strain. The decision is about comfort.

4.56 because your going up, i dont see why you need gears at 32's i am fine with 33's on stock 3.73

id have to say go 488s because you will go to 35s+

4.56 because your going up, i dont see why you need gears at 32's i am fine with 33's on stock 3.73

id have to say go 488s because you will go to 35s+

Want vs. need...want often wins:gag:
He may actually have 3.07's. That was stock ratio for most 5 speeds. I have 35s and 3.50's. He probably doesn't "need" anything. :chef:

4.56 and call it a day.

Back