• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

white plastic ring thing on front drive shaft?

tapher

NAXJA Forum User
100_3778.jpg

See this white plastic ring on the front drive shaft of my mid '90s XJ? Well, I was replacing my U-joints, and I did it without busting it. Then I must've set the assembly down funny when I went to reinstall it, and the dang thing cracked and came off.

What is it? How can I replace it? No parts stores can help me. I assume it's important to keep junk from getting in the axle shaft. If you see those grooves around the driveshaft above it; that's where it normally fit, a full circle all the way around the shaft.

Here's a link to the pic in my photobucket, in case the embedding didn't work.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/...lcimer and case and book with CD/100_3778.jpg

Help, I'm a dumbass!

First off those aren't drive shafts those are your axle shafts. That plastic piece is just a cheap crappy plastic shield that the factory puts on to keep big debris and stuff out of the axle tubes. If you're not going to be doing any offroading then some would say go with out them, otherwise you can grab a few from the JY. If you're planning on doing offroading and going to be keeping the 30 up front then I'd recommend getting some axle seals like these:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Front-Axle-Tube-Seals-p-21102.html
They're a much better option for sealing the tubes and keeping things in and out of the axles. If you shop around you can probably find them for a better price too.

And those ball joints; tighten to torque, then back off the castle nuts if need be to install the cotter pins, yes? Same for the wheel nuts?

Holy Cow, really? Even for ball joints? Thanks!

On the passenger's side axle shaft (much longer and heavier), is there anything special about reinstallation? Some how-tos have suggested that some sort of seal is present within the tube of the axle, but I probed on the driver's side with a piece of bamboo and didn't feel anything.

Although this entire project was started because of a badly busted driver's side U-joint, it seems the passenger side front wheel is a source of noise/friction now. All I did was replace all the ball joints, the front wheel bearing assemblies, and the U-joints. Now I'm going to be faced with tracking down whatever is causing the passenger's side to bind a bit. Is there anything special about axle shaft reinstallation on that side? I know the bearing assembly was good, and my U-joint installation also was successful with nice free-moving articulation. I can't figure out what is screwy, but I'll be disassembling it all again, I guess. After the 30 mile bike ride, of course.

Are those plastic things really not necessary? I'll buy them if they are, or leave them off if they're not. This is no off-road rig. It's a jeep country cherokee with 143k on the 4.0. 1st front-end work being done now.

I'll also need a new spring washer for after the axle nut as I lost one; d'oh! No parts stores have that, either. And the jeep4x4center.com joint doesn't have it in the exploded view.

If you still have both halves of the plastic ring, carefully file or grind off the little tabs that were meant to hold it together, but broke. Now carefully drill holes where they were, and put the rings back together with a cable tie.

I ain't got all the parts, and these were solid.

Any insights about inserting that passenger's side axle shaft? Can it bind a bit after everything is reassembled? I'm going to have to take it all apart again and see what's what. I have no idea what the problem is. U-Joints are simple; it worked. Freely moved in all directions.

Matthew, when you talk about "little tabs that were meant to hold it together", do you know if the replacement parts snap on around the shaft? Or do they have to be threaded on from the end?

Thanks a ton, everybody!

Matthew, when you talk about "little tabs that were meant to hold it together", do you know if the replacement parts snap on around the shaft? Or do they have to be threaded on from the end?

Thanks a ton, everybody!
I don't know about the replacements, but the original is two pieces that snap together around the shaft, with a pin on one part and a corresponding hole in the other. As I recall, the two pieces were identical, each with one pin and one hole. I've never put a new one on, but looking at it I'd guess it's not hard to put together. Your only challenge might be to squeeze the last pin through without squashing it where it comes through the hole. Pliers and a small socket or sleeve would probably do it.

On the passenger's side axle shaft (much longer and heavier), is there anything special about reinstallation? Some how-tos have suggested that some sort of seal is present within the tube of the axle, but I probed on the driver's side with a piece of bamboo and didn't feel anything.

Yes, on both sides there is a seal. They are up right at the pumpkin, and are what hold the gear lube in the pumpkin, where the axle shafts are installed.
I think that's what the how-to's are warning you about. Especially the passenger side, (longer, heavier as you note) you don't want to 'jam' the axle up there, because you could dislodge the seal.

Back