• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover on 94

JJOFOZ

NAXJA Forum User
I need to pull my valve cover on my 94 4.0 and replace the pcv valve
she has about 186k on her. Is there anything else I should do while I have the valve cover off?
What is the torque for the valve cover bolts?

Thanks in advance
Foz

Replace the valve cover gasket if its old or torn-up looking or crushed down a lot. Torque is light hand pressure with your hand choked up all the way against the head of the ratchet. Move your way from the middle bolts outward toward the ends simulataneously and your gasket will seal well (given that you properly cleaned your mating surfaces as you should). Most valve cover gaskets are cork and need no more than 10ft-lbs of torque. The idea is not to crush the cork but to simply provide some seating pressure.

Just happened to see something I knew the answer to when I was looking for some more threads on Heater box removal :).

Not sure what you are replacing, but there is no pcv valve on the '94. If you are dealing with oil in your air cleaner, this can usually be corrected without removing the valve cover.

Let us know what your problem is.

Not sure what you are replacing, but there is no pcv valve on the '94. If you are dealing with oil in your air cleaner, this can usually be corrected without removing the valve cover.

Let us know what your problem is.

Correct, the 4.0 in the XJ utilizes a CCV system--a metered orifice in the rear of the valve cover--instead of the PCV valve system.

I broke the end off the fitting at the front of the valve cover that connects to the air intake tube.

It is brittle and I was planing to kill two birds with one stone and replace my valve cover gasket while I was working on it.

Is there anything else worth doing while the valve cover is off?

FOZ:repair:

auto trans? make sure to re-adjust the line pressure/ throttle valve cable after you finish. Assuming it runs over the valve cover on a '94, it tends to get boogered up when it's moved to make room for the cover to come off.

Back