• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE/Driveshaft option with Ford 9inch

johnny mac

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got a really good deal on a built Ford 9 inch rear axle that fits right in under my '92 with an NP242. Not surprisingly, the stock driveshaft is too long, even with a 5 1/2 lift. I've been looking at the SYE options, and in addition to the Hack and Tap, I've seen some custom set-ups that use a yoke output instead of a flange. The main reason I'm interested in doing something other than a Hack and Tap is that it looks like I might be able to use a stock front shaft on the rear, and then I could carry a whole spare driveshaft that would fit either front OR rear, and I'm thinking a stock front driveshaft would be cheaper and easier to get than a custom shaft. I have a couple of questions for those with the knowledge and experience 1. Will a front shaft be close enough to the right length to work? The stock rear shaft is about a half inch or less too long when fully seated into the transfer case and the rear suspension fully extended, just hanging from the springs. 2. Is the front shaft strong enough for this application? Power output is basically stock, with 4.56 gears and currently a mini-spool in the rear. 3. if this IS a workable solution, does anyone have any specs or part numbers for the yoke, seal, etc.?

Back