• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing np231 front output shaft seal

latenights

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1996 xj with the np231 tcase. im trying to replace the front bearing for the front output shaft but im having a hard time removing the seal. is there a trick for removing the seal? ive been laying under the xj for a while just trying to get the seal out. thanks in advance!

ive read on here that you dont have to split the case? another thread said that once you remove the seal theres a c-clip that holds the bearing in. to get to the second bearing i have to split the cases. i could easily be wrong though

Last edited:
that website is really good if i do end up splitting the cases like jjacobs said. it looks like it would be alot easier getting the seal puller in there without the cross member and output shaft in the way. thanks for the link:thumbup:. looks like im going to be a paying member this weekend with all the times this forum helped me out.

That link was for doing a Tera-low kit,you do not need to split the case unless you have other internal work you want to do.I just posted it so you could see how to pull the seal,snap-ring,and bearing.What youv'e been attempting to accomplish shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

Yeah i wasn't planning on splitting the cases unless i really cant get the seal out for some reason. If it wasn't pouring in NJ today I would go out and get the seal puller and do it but it looks like its going to have to wait until the sun decides to come out

Back