• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damage to Jeep - questions.

jiipin

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys - long time no see! We tumped our XJ on its side in a low-speed accident (super bummer), and unfortunately while it's still running/driving, have decided to sell it (and the upgrades on it) to fund my brother's trip to Nicaragua this fall to help with water projects in small communities there. I also tried to post this in the fs forum, but get an error each time I try. Anyone know what the deal is there?

Anyways, after looking at the photos (link below), does anyone have experience with bending back an A-pillar? If we ended up keeping it, would it be possible to do that and replace the windshield, or just a bad idea?

Also, what negative repercussions might have happened to the drivetrain from the jeep sitting on its side for ~5 minutes? It puffed a bit of smoke at first, however now seems to run/drive just fine.

Thanks as always,

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1980638974.html

Anyways, after looking at the photos (link below), does anyone have experience with bending back an A-pillar?

No experience with a Jeep A-pillar job but bending metal back into shape, yes.

If you remove the windshield and the door and place a straight immovable piece of steel, or wood (as in 2x4) and place c-clamps at intervals you can "pull" it back into a decent shape. Using some gentle persuasion with a hammer and block, or just a hammer. Takes some patience and the restraint not to whack it instead of tap, tap, tapping. Using the other side as a kind of template.

If you also take off the A-pillar inside trim there should be a few spaces or holes to get inside there to separate anything that needs it. The important part is to regain the general shape of the windshield and door mounts. Bending the top panel of the door can be done with a 2x4 or 4x4 with the window rolled down and some mild leverage.

Oh...you'll need a new mirror too!

The error that you get I believe is from your post count, I believe you have to have a certain amount before you can post there. You can PM a mod or a bod and see if they can put it there for you though. If I am wrong here I am sure that someone will correct me.

That a-pillar is toast. My thought is you will to get a replacement(cut off a good one, if can't source a new one) and weld it onto yours. If you do not get it right when you weld it back on though you may have a BAD water leak. And who ever you may get to do it do make sure they use a backer if they do a butt joint. Trying to repair that over just replacing it may cost you more headaches in the long run. In all my body work training and doings that is just a case of replace not repair.
If it is going to be a trail rig just bang it out and be good but the way/where it looks to be pushed in at is a tough spot. Plus it looks crease/folded not just dented in a bit. 99% of the time trying to take a crease/fold out results in a breakage in the metal from it being worked out.

As long as you shut it off right after you flopped it you should be ok. Check and top off any low fluids and drive it. You say its driving fine so just check and add fluids if needed.

Last edited:
See the sticky at the top of every forum about registered users and forum supporters. It's not a post count issue. The national f/s forum is limited access, and not based on post count. No, the mods will not move it or post it for you. You may have access to your local chapter's f/s forum, though. Be forewarned that you will not be allowed to spam all of the chapter f/s forums.

My daughter (17 at the time) flipped my 98 on the drivers side late one night on black ice. She had the presence of mind to shut it off. I only had the rig a week. The firemen who showed up at the scene asked if I wanted a tow truck. I said, " lets just flip it back on it wheels" been driving it ever since without a problem. Had to replace the fender, header, turn signal, HL door and paint. Looks and drives great. I get 22 MPH on long tirps.

Back