• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown head gasket!

xj1999sport

NAXJA Forum User
My xj overheated 2 weekends ago and i let it cool down and was able to make it home. I changed the thermostat and the thermostat gasket and flushed out my radiator as best i could. It ran fine for a solid week then last weekend it overheated again turns out its a blown head gasket and all the shops around here are saying its gunna be $1,500 to fix it. I was referred to a guy that would completely rebuild my engine for $1,900 does that sound like the way to go?

My xj overheated 2 weekends ago and i let it cool down and was able to make it home. I changed the thermostat and the thermostat gasket and flushed out my radiator as best i could. It ran fine for a solid week then last weekend it overheated again turns out its a blown head gasket and all the shops around here are saying its gunna be $1,500 to fix it. I was referred to a guy that would completely rebuild my engine for $1,900 does that sound like the way to go?

No. Replace it yourself or ask a member near you to help you change it. If you offer free beer and pizza im sure someone will be glad to help ya ;)

you can purchase the head gasket at autozone for about $30. Only basic tools are needed to replace the gasket. Just make sure to baggy up the nuts and bolts and write on the bag where they went. It helps when your trying to re-install the head.. trust me!

also, have the member that is going to help you check the head really good for cracks or warping. It might just be worth it to have the head machined anyways and valve job done ($200) Good luck!

1900 for a rebuild is rediculous as that could buy 3-4 used engines or 1-2 xj's. As cherokeeboy said buy the head gasket yourself and do it yourself. You're in cali and there's alot of members out there who'd probably be willing to help. I rebuilt the engine in my 92 years ago by myself in a weekend for under $500.

OK first get the head gasket KIT not just the head gasket by itself. It has the other gaskets you will need in there so you will not have to make sure that you remember to get all the gaskets separately. It looks like alot of work but it really isn't. It is just time consuming, so take your time. We have done I think 5 head gasket jobs here at the house in the last year. Yes they where all different Cherokee's not all on the same one...lol It takes a good part of the day to do it. But paying someone $1500 to do it is ludicrous. Think of all the upgrades that money could buy you do by doing it yourself

Post up in the SoCal chapter that you need help. They are a very active group. I would be surprise if no one jumps up to offer help over there especially if you offer free pizza and beer. They might even have a place for you to do it if you cant work on it where you are.

Xwhatever, do it yourself!

The craziest tools you will need are a good torque wrench (should have one anyways if you're gonna maintain your own vehicle) and a deep 12pt 1/2" socket for the head bolts.

The worst part is the last head bolt on the driver side at the back of the head, since the pinch seam in the firewall gets in the way a bit.

Really a head gasket isn't a bad job on a 4.0L. Get a FSM if you don't have one already and it really does walk you through EVERY little detail.
It can be done in an afternoon.

Get a Mopar headgasket kit and you'll be all set.

as everyone else said, they are an easy head gasket to replace. easiest one i have ever done. i have done several myself. i think the hardest part i can remember is pulling the head off by myself with one of the back bolts still in because you cant get it out with the cowl in the way. having someone help you r/r the head makes it really nice

I hope it is just a head gasket and not a cracked head...\

as previously stated, it is not a hard job, can be done by yourself if you feel comfortable doing so, although it never hurts to have help, kinda heavy and akward to lift the head out.

X100 on replacing it by yourself.

A friend of mine overheated his XJ this summer and blew the headgasket. we didn't need a "headgasket kit" of any kind. just went to advance and bought a new headgasket for about 30 bucks. the only tool we had to go out and buy was a 12point deep socket. other then that, it was a extremely easy job. id almost rather do that then install lifts anymore. it took us start to finish about 7 hours, and we had 1 day of down time due to taking the head to a shop to get checked for warpage.

Id HIGHLY recommend taking the head somewhere and getting it checked for warpage or cracks. we took his in and had it resurfaced, and they said it was considerably warped, but it only took about an hour, and 60 bucks for them to refinish the head.

Follow the FSM or look around online for the pattern for tightening back down the head, and torque specs, and its a easy job

And don't forget that no. 11 bolt that passes through the water jacket is torqued LESS than the other and must have thread sealant applied.

Also, if the head bolts have paint on their heads they have already been reused and must be replaced.

Id HIGHLY recommend taking the head somewhere and getting it checked for warpage or cracks. we took his in and had it resurfaced, and they said it was considerably warped, but it only took about an hour, and 60 bucks for them to refinish the head.

X2. Have a reputable shop check and clean up the head while its out. They can hot tank it, check for cracks, and do a valve job it its needed.

Back