• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR 1-Ton Steering

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Since my tie rod and TREs are pretty much shot and inspection is looming, this looks like a good time to kill two birds with one stone and just upgrade to better steering hardware. I've been looking at JCR's 1TNST kit - this is the non-OTK version.

Here's the current setup: 2000 XJ (LP D30), JKS adjustable LCAs & UCAs, RE 1660 trackbar and RE 1665 bracket, drop pitman arm, 4.5" of lift. I gave JCR a call to check on this earlier and spoke with Eric - he was really helpful, but I'd like to hear from anyone who may be running the same hardware I am with their 1-ton steering.

My basic question is if I'll run into any fitment or compatibility issues with this combination of hardware. My main concern is around the trackbar, since that's non-stock at both the bracket and bar itself. If anyone can let me know what they've run into (or not) with this setup, it would be much appreciated.

Don't waste your money going with the UTK kit, go for the full OTK/OTA or just keep what you have. You'll need to relocate the sway bar mounts and the track bar mount and shorten the track bar but it will a much better setup when it's done.

I agree. I have the UTK 1-ton kit from JCR and would recommend to either go with Currie or get the 1-ton OTK kit from JCR.

With the UTK 1-ton kit, the right side turning is affected because the setup hits the track bar bolt. I had to bend my TRE about 12 degrees with a huge press to maintain the same steering to the right side. Highly recommend going OTK or getting Currie.

I've heard that the tie rod roll isn't nearly as pronounced when you go OTK. Can someone chime in on this?

The steeper the draglink angle the more pronounced the "rolling" affect.By going OTK you "flatten" out the draglink angle.

I agree. I have the UTK 1-ton kit from JCR and would recommend to either go with Currie or get the 1-ton OTK kit from JCR.

Hm, OK. Interesting. Just to be sure we're on the same page, I'm assuming that the Currie kit you're referring to is the CE-9701 HD drag link / tie rod kit?

With the UTK 1-ton kit, the right side turning is affected because the setup hits the track bar bolt. I had to bend my TRE about 12 degrees with a huge press to maintain the same steering to the right side.

I'm glad you mentioned this; it was something that came up in the course of my phone call with JCR. The suggestion was that using a bolt with a shallower head may work around this problem - but at 12 degrees, that's a lot to have to avoid.

Highly recommend going OTK or getting Currie.

Yeah, OTK is sounding more appealing the more I look into this.

Appreciate it; this has certainly given me some food for thought.

You'll want to get their sway bar and track bar bracket kits too as you'll need to relocate both. The sway bars for clearance and the track bar so you don't get bumpsteer. Tightening your overcenter adjustment on your steering box will help with the tie rod roll issue and the reamer can be found on E Bay fairly cheap too.

Hm, OK. Interesting. Just to be sure we're on the same page, I'm assuming that the Currie kit you're referring to is the CE-9701 HD drag link / tie rod kit?

I'm glad you mentioned this; it was something that came up in the course of my phone call with JCR. The suggestion was that using a bolt with a shallower head may work around this problem - but at 12 degrees, that's a lot to have to avoid.

Yeah, OTK is sounding more appealing the more I look into this.

Appreciate it; this has certainly given me some food for thought.

Yes, that is the correct Currie kit.

I had to bend the tie rod end 12 degrees, and that was after I grinded the track bar bolt head down to half thickness.

OTK is the way to go. More effort to get it on but worth it in the long run.

I run the JCR UTK kit and while OTK is a much better set up the UTK was on the Jeep when I bought it so I'm not going to switch just yet.

I haven't had the problem with the tierod hitting the tracbar bolt. My tierod actually hits the diff cover before anything else.

I also had to shim my tierod because there was so much roll resulting in lots of slop in the steering wheel.

After shimming my tierod I'm very happy with the JCR UTK setup. I have ran the tierod into a few rocks and it has held up great. OTK is in my feature tho.

Back