• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix 90 brake upgrade?

vwrobc

NAXJA Forum User
I've been planning on doing the WJ master cylinder and brake booster upgrade on my XJ. The current setup is like show in the diagram below. This is different to what I expected, and also to what most of the how-to's show. (I'd expected the booster to be the usual large circular diaphragm assembly which sits directly behind the master cylinder).

Anyway, my question is can I still install the WJ master cylinder/brake booster assembly in place of the current setup?

My Jeep is a 1990 Renix inline6.

Thanks!
Rob

XJBrakes.jpg

You have the early XJ ABS system.

You would be replacing/eliminating ALL of the brake components in that diagram.

You will need the WJ MC and power booster, the proportioning valve, and you are going to have to do some cutting and double flares on the lines.

You will, however, end up with an excellent brake system when done.

You are going to have to depressurize the ABS system as it has pressures 1600 psi and higher. Engine off, pump the brake pedal about 50 times to kill the pressure before you try and open any lines.

Search, there are write ups on eliminating the ABS system--just make sure you are reading threads on the EARLY system, info for 92+ doesn't apply to you.

Nice. Thanks for enlightening me!

Right now the brakes feel like the booster is shot so I already got the WJ master cylinder and booster along with a double flaring kit with the intention of going through with the conversion.

Is there a significant difference between the current and WJ proportioning valves?

Rob

Nice. Thanks for enlightening me!

Right now the brakes feel like the booster is shot so I already got the WJ master cylinder and booster along with a double flaring kit with the intention of going through with the conversion.

Is there a significant difference between the current and WJ proportioning valves?

Rob
Yeah cut it off at the front/rear hydraulic lines and throw the current proportioning valve out with the rest of the system

haha man I felt like I was the only person in the world that had that old a$$ ABS system. I had nothing but problems with that, and spent a lot of money trying to get it right.... only to tear it all out lol. You see that little black ball you have next to your mc, that's about 250 bucks, ask me how I know. Best part is I wound up trashing after the swap. If I can do this swap anyone can do it.... I did have someone bend and install the hard lines tho. Good luck you'll be very happy you did it.

Back