• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Disc Brakes

Haven't seen one. Its easy enough to do yourself. Just go to the Junk yard and grab backing plates, calipers and rotors from a disc brake zj. All you need to do is open up the hole where the backing plate slides over the axle tube. I did it on my old 96 and it took me by myself about two days of work. End result was awesome! There are a couple write ups out there...

Link

Last edited:
Yeah they make a kit and its stupid expensive.

Yes they home brew - its called JY - ZJ disks or KJ disks. Have you searched at all?

I used '07 Liberty disc parts on my '98 XJ. Easy install, except theLib. hard line is metric; the Xj, standard. No need to change the proportioning valve.

Question: Did the E-brake cables hook up or did they need modding. My trail rig needs discs to whoa down the 35's

Ive got cables for the 84-96 that were left over from my old xj, now I have a 2000 xj... if anyone is in massachusetts- come get them, they're free... Im researching a conversion so ill just post it here.. Thanks for the info on using ZJ or KJ brakes, is there any preference? Do I use a standard XJ rotor afterward or do I need to use a KJ or ZJ rotor afterward? I assume i just use an XJ rotor, but i'm just making sure. Thanks.

Ive got cables for the 84-96 that were left over from my old xj, now I have a 2000 xj... if anyone is in massachusetts- come get them, they're free... Im researching a conversion so ill just post it here.. Thanks for the info on using ZJ or KJ brakes, is there any preference? Do I use a standard XJ rotor afterward or do I need to use a KJ or ZJ rotor afterward? I assume i just use an XJ rotor, but i'm just making sure. Thanks.

Doubt you'll find an XJ rotor since they were never equipped with disc brakes, hence the conversion. Use KJ rotors.

The best reason to use a kit is because you can't find the mounting brackets anywhere.
If you get parts from a ZJ, you will need to open up the mounting bracket a little & use ZJ rotors, calipers, pads, soft lines & all.
If you get from a KJ, they will fit with zero mods - and use KJ parts.
E brakes can be modified from a ZJ, though it is not the easiest thing to do.
KJ cables are hella long but fit without modifying.
Make sure you know which OEM parts will replace the stuff in your kit, if you go that route.
In any case, it is worthwhile and fun to put disc rears in an XJ. I did mine 2-3 years ago and love it!

The best reason to use a kit is because you can't find the mounting brackets anywhere.
If you get parts from a ZJ, you will need to open up the mounting bracket a little & use ZJ rotors, calipers, pads, soft lines & all.
If you get from a KJ, they will fit with zero mods - and use KJ parts.
E brakes can be modified from a ZJ, though it is not the easiest thing to do.
KJ cables are hella long but fit without modifying.
Make sure you know which OEM parts will replace the stuff in your kit, if you go that route.
In any case, it is worthwhile and fun to put disc rears in an XJ. I did mine 2-3 years ago and love it!

If you're referring to caliper mounting brackets that's because it's cast into the backing plate (on the KJ at least, not sure about others)

Parking brake cables you can use them from an Explorer, forget what years but I have the Napa part numbers if someone needs them

'97 Exploder works. Good length on them, not super long.

Haha, I'm an idiot! That's what I get for posting while pre-gaming! Of course I'm at the bar now, so not much better... I haven't driven the xj in 2 years so im out of the loop... Thanks for checking me! I'll be visiting the parts yard this coming week!

Back