• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring Comparison: RE vs Clayton vs Big Offroad

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for new coils & leafs, 4.5 to 5.5". What are the opinions on these parts? I have been doing research & came up with the following:

- I hear that RE runs a little higher than advertised - how about Clayton & BOR?
- Read that RE leaf bushings suck. And Clayton? BOR?
- I searched & lots of guys here say simply that RE leafs are terrible. Clayton? BOR?
- One vendor referred to RE as "the cadillac of suspensions". I already have OME so I can disagree. How about you guys?
- Someone who's opinion I greatly value told me that BOR leafs would be better for my 4800# whale, while the RE would be too "soft". Opinions? How would BOR compare here?
Talk to me about durability, ride quality, flex & so on.

I have about 3 days to make a decision & purchase, I am definitely going to buy leafs & coils, so please help me decide quick. I don't mind mix-n-match. If you're selling any of these, that would be great. Cannot go over 5.5" due to my other components on the XJ, so bear that in mind.

Thanks All.

93XJLI said:
bigoffroad leafs are world's better than clayton and RE.

i'd say either DPG coils/leafs or DPG coils w/ BOE leafs.
I spoke to Dirk just last week & DPG lifts are not currently available - so that's out. But I did try to get 'em, so I'd say you're on to something.

Any other opinions?

I'm willing to listen to the guys that say: "my buddy did/had this" or I heard so-and-so. Why? Because I'm thinking not many people who have had these leafs/coils have had to change for anything else. I know they last. Just want to know what people think are best.

Last edited:
PM Yellaheep. He runs BOR. He can tell you all about em.
BOR doesn't actually make em... the springs are made for BOR by Alcan, another local shop here that does custom leafs. Great product.

I don't remember where I posted it, but that's where it is now. Didn't really think it was "tech".

Can't believe there aren't more opinions on this stuff!

well i feel that RE's springs are too soft for some applications, like some go fast stuff. good for crawling though and being a DD.

I have some old RE 4.5 coils and they are too soft for even DDing in my opinion. I'm in search now of some much better coils. They are definately, definately way too soft for any go fast stuff.

Well obviously Im a little biased, :) but here are some pics and general info.

XJ-leaf1.jpg

XJ-leaf2.jpg

XJ-leaf3.jpg

XJ-leaf4.jpg

More info at.

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php?cPath=18_74&products_id=170

Adam
Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Hey Clayton I do appreciate your input. You haven't offered a comparison, tho. Just highlighted your product. I can guess, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say ...

I'm going on 10 years with the RE leaf springs that came with my 5.5" lift. Mostly DD with some crawling mixed in. I've never noticed them to be too soft. I've never had to replace bushings on them. They may have settled a bit since they were new, but they're definitely not sagging. I've been happy with them. Then again, what's to say RE still uses the same springs / bushings / manufacturer as they did 10 years ago...

I run BOR leafs and really like them. They ride great on road and give me plenty of control offroad. My only gripe is the set I bought was too tall for my liking (obviously no ones fault but mine...) but I would highly recommend BOR.

Heres a couple flexy pics, dont really have anything closer up...

n6310842_34246797_6981.jpg

n6310842_34246798_7293.jpg

Last edited:
I run the BOR springs, and they sagged within a few months. Well one side did anyways. After talking to them, they said that Alcan only has a 30 day warranty on leafs. I could have jumped through hoops and ended up sending them my leafs on my dime, but I honestly dont have that time with working away from home a month at a time.
They flex no where near as good as the OME's I had on my last rig (SOA YJ).

Martin

Im running a RE 3.5 lift with new packs that i just picked up this summer. Front netted 4" while the rears netted 5". The ride is stiffer than stock, but not too stiff. Its also not soft either and ive noticed that the rear does not like to articulate at all. It is quite rigid back there. All in all great package.

I run the BOR springs, and they sagged within a few months. Well one side did anyways. After talking to them, they said that Alcan only has a 30 day warranty on leafs. I could have jumped through hoops and ended up sending them my leafs on my dime, but I honestly dont have that time with working away from home a month at a time.
They flex no where near as good as the OME's I had on my last rig (SOA YJ).

Martin
Well, that's a big surprise to hear, and thank you for posting that. I thought they were more durable than that! Was there any especially heavy equipment on your XJ that might have encouraged sag? I was steered in their direction by someone saying that RE would be too soft for my XJ & BOR would have better "support". I wonder if the flexibility of soft springs allow them to hold up better? The main complaint I have heard about RE is about the bushings. And one guy said they flared. This is the first complaint I have had about BOR.
I have about 24 hours before I order my leafs, so keep the opinions coming guys. I appreciate the time you take.
L.

I've had a set of Alcan springs (same manufacturer as BOR) on my Jeep for almost a year and absolutely love them. They ride and flex great. I've had my rig loaded with myself, my wife, and both kids plus all our crap to go camping several times, a couple of which were 200+ mile trips. The rear of the Jeep would squat when fully loaded, but there has been no sagging of the springs in that year. I'd highly recommend Alcan products to any Jeep owner.

My .02¢

Well, that's a big surprise to hear, and thank you for posting that. I thought they were more durable than that! Was there any especially heavy equipment on your XJ that might have encouraged sag? I was steered in their direction by someone saying that RE would be too soft for my XJ & BOR would have better "support". I wonder if the flexibility of soft springs allow them to hold up better? The main complaint I have heard about RE is about the bushings. And one guy said they flared. This is the first complaint I have had about BOR.
I have about 24 hours before I order my leafs, so keep the opinions coming guys. I appreciate the time you take.
L.

My XJ has nothing besides a tool box in the back of it. No weight at all, and no spare tire, cage, etc. Me and the wife up front, 3 boys in the rear (6,7,13). I am bump stopped correctly too...
Big was very helpful, but his hands are tied by the manufacturer I guess. Would have been nice to know about the 30 day warranty before though....
If you were to order the Alcan's yourself, it may be better? The warranty (or lack thereof) is what scares me though.
IIRC my leaf pack is just a 4 or 5 leaf pack, so not going to flex that good anyways, especially not compared to OME, which is the best spring out there IMHO.
I have the Clayton long arm kit on the XJ, and to be honest I would not hesitate to order their leafs myself. Only issue is, I have already spent a fortune on the ones I have already. I would be @1/2 there to linking the rear by the time I bought the leafs I have, thus I am hesitant to buy more.
Maybe Clayton will feel sorry for me and cut me a deal....:worship:
Not bashing Alcan or Big in any way, just giving me personal experience with them.
Martin

I would take Clayton all day err day

Back